Chapter 3

TW: SWEARING, YELLING, ALCOHOL, RACISM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome warmth floods my face and greets me with smells of hot potatoes and

Welcome warmth floods my face and greets me with smells of hot potatoes and... flowers? There was so much in the room I couldn't work out where to look first. All sorts of creatures sat at wooden tables drinking from mismatched glasses or wooden mugs and pints of alcohol.

"Hey, shut the door!" I flinch and spot a foxling giving me a hard stare. I double take unsure that I had actually seen a Foxling in person. He glares at me when he sees me staring. Mumble an apology, I close the door in a daze.

I catch a glimpse of the walls, beams laden with all kinds of vines. I follow them with my eyes to the roof and find Azalea flowers blooming on vines alongside dozens of Glow Berries. In the centre of the roof is a giant Glowstone contraption of cogs and wooden rods bearing candles that have turned bubbly with melted wax. But a contraption of that calibre could only be built by- I spin and notice a room coming off the main one I stood in.

Piglin brutes and Blazbornes chuckle heartily as they lounge on chairs and tables made of crimson wood or blackstone. My heart skips a beat when I notice a small lava pool in which several of the Blazebornes were sitting.

I spin around again and spot Starbornes cheering with Arachnids as their friends tangle head to head in an arm-wrestling match. Further back in the room Phantoms and Felines debate something incoherent. Even Foxlings and Bunnies seem to be getting along in this place. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. 

Where am I?

I look around again hoping to see another Elytrian or a tank where Niki would be. But there's nobody. I press a hand to my forehead feeling dizzy. Of course, no Elytrian would be here, they wouldn't be caught dead in this place.

A melting pot of cultures, ideas, politics and races? What could be worse? If my father knew about this... I don't even want to think of what would happen.

"Excuse me miss," I jump and back into somebody but lurch back forward when I realise that I didn't bump into someone solid.

"Oh I'm so sorry!" I exclaim and turn to see exactly what I had expected. The Slimecian's body slowly turned from green back to a human skin tone repairing itself after I had disturbed its form. The white shirt he was wearing was stained green in the spot I must have bumped him. It was common for Slimecians to present themselves as human-like, this man seemed no different.

"No no I'm sorry, I scared you after all," he chuckles and pushed his wonky glasses back onto his forehead. I can't help but wonder if he actually needs them. I smile awkwardly not knowing what to say.

"I'm Charlie," he sticks a hand out to me. A handshake, something rather strange to me but I suppose it must be common in Slimecian culture. I hadn't really read about Slimecians as much as I had about other races. They were such a malleable group, many of the books I had read questioned if they had a culture at all.