Chapter 32

TW: SWEARING, TRAUMA, VARIOUS FORMS OF IMPLIED ABUSE

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Blue skies replace what would usually be grey and cloudy and common cafe chatter surrounds our time in the Capital

Blue skies replace what would usually be grey and cloudy and common cafe chatter surrounds our time in the Capital. Clinking cups touch their saucers and wealthy elytrian ladies gasp as they gossip quietly. We had taken an outdoor table since it was easier for Niki to get to. 

All cafes in Alifero are required to have seating for merlings, inchlings and phantoms. Though it doesn't necessarily mean that they enjoy coming down. Our group is the exception to the social rule. 

Ranboo and Wilbur are engaged deeply in a conversation I had long lost track of, tucked under the shade of the red and white awning. The sun hits Niki's scales perfectly as she bobs in her special tank. It was more or less a glass pipe filled with water up to Niki's waist and the ledge level with the table. Her elbows rested on the padded ledge and her tail swished gently, easily keeping her afloat. From a distance, you wouldn't even notice that she's not actually sitting at the table. She and Sneeg giggle about something as he sits on the saucer of her teacup, munching on the marshmallow that came with her hot chocolate. 

Tommy and I opted to sit on the sunny side. For once, Alifero lacked its usual muggy humidity, making the sunlight bearable. Under the table, Tommy plays with my fingers as we chat with each other. Our wings stretch comfortably behind us as we enjoy the atmosphere and there was nothing in the world that could wipe the smiles from our faces. 

It's been nearly a whole year since we brought the water back. My favourite part of it all has definitely been seeing Tommy more without having to sneak out every night. Social taboo is less terrifying when we are together. Besides, what's there to be afraid of anyway? I'm still rich which ultimately makes me untouchable. 

After the geysers stopped spouting and the floods weren't as hazardous, the phantoms who had evacuated to Aranea were returned to Alifero. They were unwilling to return home, and understandably so. After some coaxing from elytrian leaders, they caved and moved into a special facility in the Capital. A rehabilitation program was recommended by Cornucopian doctors and pushed forward by the voices of the heirs on the council, including Amélie. Those who were more open to change were allowed to get jobs and move out of the facility and into apartments in the Capital. Wilbur had met a few of them on one of his trips to the phantom-dominated sectors of the city. Some of them struggle to adjust to being around elytrians, merlings and inchlings, but overall they're doing well. 

It took a lot of effort and nagging on my part, but the Aliferian council took on more of my recommendations. Whilst cleaning up all the water that blew up from the cave systems, it was redistributed to major lakes in rivers in other countries. Wells in Aranea were filled and the river systems connecting Querencia and Alifero were fuller than ever. The swamps in Cornucopia were restored and slimecian populations were able to return to their homes.