Chapter 20

TW: SWEARING, ARGUING

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The reservoir was like nothing I had ever seen before, but it was familiar too

The reservoir was like nothing I had ever seen before, but it was familiar too. I chose the reservoir closest to Querencia for safety. It was situated close to the border on the side of the tallest mountain in Alifero, Mount Velikan. The hike became another thing for Tommy to complain about... We crossed the border bright at early to avoid any elytrians. Tommy complained the whole way about having to hold the heavy climbing equipment. He was met with sarcastic remarks and friendly jabs since all of us were carrying gear without a complaint. Tommy especially hated the heat, it didn't matter that we were gaining altitude, in Alifero everything is hot. Thick jungle trees grew shorter the higher we went up the mountain and soon we could see over all of Alifero. 

Reading and hearing about Valikan and the reservoirs on it was one thing, but seeing them was completely different. The reservoir was large enough that it warranted a pathway to lead to it and a stubby stone wall as its guard. Everything was carefully engraved in classic elytrian fashion. Exotic patterns covered every stone displaying the prowess and wealth of the builders. Sweaty and tired, we followed the pathway for a few minutes before finding what looked like a massive stone sink. Standing on the edge, I felt like one of the ants that sometimes found the edge of the basin in Tommy's bathroom. They too were looking for water. 

The reservoir was a perfect square and we had guessed it was about twenty-five paces in width and at least forty paces deep. It looked like four descending staircases facing one another, going down, down, down until you reached the centre of the Island. It was like somebody has taken a pyramid, turned it upside down and buried it in the soil. Only, the upside-down pyramid was just the funnel into the massive underground chamber where the water was stored. Long concrete arteries flowed into the heart of the reservoir, collecting water from further up the mountain. Just like we expected, it was dead dry with no water to be seen. Cracks and moss in the concrete were weaved like marble through the structure. The moss was healthily green and damp indicating that water did still flow here, only it didn't stay here. 

Clinking of large buckles on harnesses floated around us as we geared up. Ranboo fiddled with the equipment nervously setting up to lower us in. We couldn't take him with us in case there actually was water. He'd be burnt to a crisp if we let him touch it. He couldn't teleport in either as he had to be able to envision the place he was teleporting to before doing so. Buying water-repellant potions was far too expensive and we didn't have any ingredients to brew them ourselves. The most we had were our swords, one for me, Tommy and Tubbo. 

A smile cracked my face as I caught sight of Ranboo in the scruffy clothes we had bought for him in the market last night. It was more than a little strange to see him away for his regular bling. I grabbed some loose brown pants this morning and Tommy gave me one of his old shirts to wear. I mumbled a thank you before running away to hide my blush.