7. His wife, but not his.

Chapter 7

Evan watched out unashamedly at his now wife, to even say it was startling to himself since he swore to never marry again. But Eleanor Windsor was the right woman, a woman who would look perfect beside him and never do anything drastic or displease him. She was a blessing, a fresh start. Seeing her watch the carriage window in front of him made him recall this eventful day, and he remembered very much the look of disappointment when they entertained their guests for hours until he couldn't take it anymore, he had lied of needing to reside back but truth was that he felt tormented of watching her smile and laugh tables away.

He never took notice to her smiles, but god did it take a man's breath. He'd told himself she was his bloody wife for gods sake, but he did not expected her to seem so happy and glowing as she shared words with her bosom ladies. But then again it was her day, the moment any lady longed for.

"Eleanor," he said her name for the first time, now that their married it would be ridiculous to not call by its first names would it not?, but she did not react as he expected, instead she wiped her gaze from the view at the window and meet his eyes, "Yes Evan?"

Evan

He didn't want to enjoy the way she said his name, especially pronounced it. It sounded almost seductive, her voice having a sudden husk to it that he never realised before, something else he had not realised now is that he is gloating over his wife like a fool, completely forgetting what he was about to say, "You are not mad with me are you, my dear?"

His words seemed to surprise her, the way her eyes broaden, "Whyever would I be that?"

He felt a wave of relief flood through him, thank god she was not one of those society ladies who tended to at least want to spend hours at balls and shops, he knew today was an exception since it was their wedding day he had to be prepared that she was indeed the centre of attention, he had expected for them to stay a bit, but when the clock ticked towards late he had enough.

"I was referring to us leaving, you seemed disappointed,"

She tossed her hand lightly In the air as if brushing of dust, "No, the only disappointment was that my feet hurt of all the dancing and while I do enjoy it, I would rather be In peace and quiet. In fact I wondered why you hadn't come earlier"

He was In amazement, not that he had not expected the way his wife was understanding after all they both were rational human beings, but if he was not wrong, Eleanor had spoken more to him now than they ever spoken in weeks, as if she could read his mind her cheeks heatened, "Oh god, I must be babbling to you, don't mind me, I will just enjoy this view"

Not wanting her to feel uncomfortable Evan decided to drop the question he wanted to ask and instead eyed the necklace that he bought to her, the moment he seen it plastered his mind pictured thoughts that he never had been thinking her in, not even when she once wore those expensive golden necklaces and accessories when he took her to the museum, so why did it satisfy him so much of seeing his necklace draped over her skin?.

Perhaps because he bought it himself.

But he did not even think of her when he thought of buying that necklace, instead it was the store woman that said, 'any lady would love this piece' , and like that he bought it. With nothing in his mind, not even anticipating to see her in it,

Yet watching it on  her in bare skin on full display he saw it as a claim, she was his now.

In law, he reminded himself. She was not his, she was his wife yes, but not his.

Evan cleared his throat from where his thoughts were heading to, he started instead working with the files that he had not been able to find time for today, his wedding day and all did not mean he could lack in his work. There were no exceptions for that, as he flipped a page of the files he swore he could hear a snort, he believed it must be the man astriding the carriage, or perhaps something outside.

With a shake of his head he went back to his work, diving into it, it weren't before hours that he caught at the corner of his eye how awkwardly his wife head was leaning against the casement, a sudden guilt that had no place in his body took over him. Maybe he should've taken exception today,

He doubted that any woman would want to remember their wedding day staring outside of a carriage, but he would surprise her with their honeymoon in a place that he was sure she would most likely be pleased about.

With that set in mind, he forced the guilt he felt to return wherever it came from as he went back to work.

_______________________________

                 VOTE AND COMMENT