23. His heart

chapter 23

Sitting at the dinning table, Evan locked eyes with his wife across the table with all the chattering guests and a swell of pride rose inside of him.Given the paramaters of their past association, Evan never really saw Eleanor work a drawing room before. But after less than an hour he understood why she had been crowned the belle of London society for two years in a row. 

But he didn't expect her to be engaging as well, She made everyone fell included, wheter his grandma spoke of the art and literature she had a thing to add, and when she spoke with John she had a thing to add wheter it was soccer or crickets, even if the subject was considered of boyish and masculine.

The guests they had around as well took delight in his wife, even his uncle who had were often remarked as a hard egg shell since he was not an friendly man, soon warmed to Eleanors graceful charm and inviting manner. And artistic Edward his close friend, instantly were mesmerized by her beauty despite his obvious and enduring love for his own dear wife.

She poured tea, handed out sandwiches, conversed and entertained, a radiant sun bestowing brilliant light upon all within her orbit.

the conversation with his grandmother alone replayed in his mind

"You know i long for the day to see you become a father..."

chuckling lightly Evan gave his grandma a gleaming smile, "And here i thought i satisfied you enough with a wife,"

"Not close my son,"

As those words never left his mind he also recalled a disturbing memory that had his heart racing,

Evan's mind casted him back to the first night with Eleanor, when he told her he wanted an heir and she could leave him then... dear lord he wondered what had bloodly casted him to speak such ways,

He remembered how she didn't crumble and instead showed a side of her he had not seen, barking back like a mother standing up for their child, he recaled it very strongly as she didn't seem pleased with him.

He had not brought up the topic ever again, half of it because he felt ashamed about his behaviour, when he thought of her non virgin state he felt a rage that was foregin and be damned if he didn't feel it now,

she was his... and he would maim any man who tried to take her away from him.

He was amazed by the protectivness he felt. It was not in his nature to fall this fast for a woman, two months has not even past but he love her. the simple truth was astonishing, but undeniable. As his gaze trailed over hers across the table his body rife with uncontained, anxious joy.

He would need to speak with her tonight and set it straight that he wants children with her, wether it is a son or daughter... and that he only meant it in spite when he said those words of their first night.

He would also confess and follow his heart this time. Even if it did him no good in the past. But he wasn't wise, he was in love, and he wanted her as she is. In time she might come to care for him and love him as well.

satisified with that accord he drifted his gaze away from his wife and discussed with the men about the upcoming polling day. 

**

as hours pased and the guests started leaving and they bid them farewell Evan came back into the house expecting John already asleep he was intrigued to the noises coming from the sitting room,

as he drew nearer the laughter and giggles were none other than his wife and John, what he saw surprised him more, a game of cards and his loins tightened as Eleanor reached down to scramble the fallen cards, her bottom arched in a way that made all his fantasies.

a rush of desire swept past him and for the first time in his life Evan felt iritated that his brother was awake, "John, you could use a bath and sleep for school," he decided to present himself,

their heads turned and John sighed, "Oh but i was just about to win, Evan, just let us finish this one turn,"

With the puppy eye cast upon him, Even wondered how he could forget his persuasive brother, his eyes drifted to his wife who wore a grin as well,

Sighing in Defense he nodded, "You may do that,"

As Evan was about to walk towards his counterdesk to grab brandy he saw his butler approach,

"My lord,"

Evan took in the disturbed look on his butlers face and knew it was a serious matter, "Not here, the study"

As he closed the door Evan turned to him, "What is the matter?"

"My lord, Arthur Baldwin is dead..."

"What?" the sharp reply almost made his butler shake,

"Yes, it is said he was murdered but it is not entierly for certain..."

"What do you mean not for certain?"

"Whether... he killed himself since the polling day is close as the rivals says or---"

grabbing his coat Evan whirled back to his butler, "Inform the others that we will see through the matter ourselves before the blasted bastards set a foot inside, inform my footman to prepare the carriage,"

"Indeed my lord,"

walking out of the study his eyes met Eleanors, with the cards gone and John not in sight, "I thought to wai---" a worried look on her face as she took in his apperance, "Your going out?"

Clenching his jaw hard he muttered a silent curse thinking how the situation couldn't have came in a more wrong time, striding over to her Evan dusted kisses over her cheeks and couldn't resist her lips, as he took her mouth in a quick kiss, drawing away he caressed her arm, "I have... matters to take care off... it won't take longer than a week, why don't you and John go to that opera singer you spoke off?, I will be back in no time you'll see"

"To where?"

"London,"

"At this time?"

"It is a matter that cannot wait, my dear,"

He saw a hint of hesistation in her gaze and he felt the need to put it away, dipping his head he kissed her passionately that left them both breathless, "Do not go out without Bertram anywhere, understood?"

"Yes.... And Evan...,"

He held her captivating eyes, "Yes dear,"

"Do be careful... A--And know that I care"

his lips twitched in a smile, her worries making him enjoy it more than he should, "I will do my best to be careful.."

forcing himself to let go of her since it felt impossible so when he wanted nothing else but to sink with her and forget everything and anything,

"I will be back before you know it,"

________________________________

VOTE AND COMMENT