17

There was only one thing left for the contract magic to execute before it dissipated. The binding.

The golden, shimmering force that anchored my soul to the Prince became solid and heavy, not physical but forceful enough to feel like it. It compressed, taking on a definite shape inside me like a helical vortex, and then coursed through my body toward its destination. I didn't know where it would go. That wasn't up to me. I gasped when it flared and heated in my chest on the way, and Asmodeus groaned and dropped his head so his face nuzzled my neck at the same time. Whatever I was feeling, he felt too, the contract magic perfectly reflected between us.

It traveled like an electric, fiery current, flaring again as it entered my upper arm, rolled past my elbow, and filled my forearm like liquid heat. Golden light flashed from under my skin there, lighting me up like a star. Then it condensed again and became a brilliant pinpoint of illumination that pierced through the delicate skin of my wrist, on the underside. And then it moved, inscribing something at the base. It was like lights moving through a lush canopy, piercing with tiny, intense rays that penetrated as they moved, brilliant embers burning through tinder.

When it finished, the tiny, intense lights disappeared, fizzling out instantly. In their place, a glimmering golden symbol remained, intricate and small. Although the hue was pale, the lines were so delicate that I could see clearly what it was meant to depict: a serpent's head inscribed within a five pointed star.

"A memorial," the demon murmured, and he took my wrist to bring it to his lips. He kissed the mark reverently, sending a stinging shock of sheer pleasure through my body. With a gasp, I tried to close my legs and wriggle back, but he thrust hard against me with a rough jerk. A growl rumbled deep in his chest. "A memorial," he said again. "To make sure you remember. But it would be hard to forget anyway, wouldn't it, Sable? The first time always stays with you."

When my eyes widened, he grinned, showing off teeth that lengthened slightly and became pointed as I watched.

"Did you think I wouldn't know? That you've never had a man before. That I'm the first to possess you... here."

I moaned again when he thrust even harder, the head of his rigid cock demanding entrance again. But this time, I held strong. I had made the binding. I had forced him to agree to a contract oath. If I didn't take command now, it would all be for nothing, and the momentary pleasure of letting him dominate my body again would be gone with the wind.

"No," I snapped, putting as much force in my voice as I could despite my lightheaded dizziness. "We don't have time for this. We need to get out of here before more hunters arrive to take me to the boat, or wherever they want to put me. You hurt those two and now I'm going to pay the price. Get up, I need to pack supplies before we get out of here."

"There's no need to run. If they're reckless enough to enter here without my permission..." He dropped his head and mouthed my throat, tipping my head back with his fingers tangling in my hair. "One more time, Sable. I want to come inside you again. By tomorrow night, you'll have our heir in your belly, and the throne is ours."

My heart stuttered.

What did he just say?

Oh, my God.

He wanted me pregnant.

And now, out of nowhere, I remembered: he had climaxed inside me. And demon or human, it didn't matter, did it? Unprotected sex... pregnancy. And I wasn't on birth control.

"Get up. Get up, come on." I shoved him off of me in a panic. He didn't seem to want to let go at first, and I could never have contested his strength, but finally he rolled off and watched me with admiring eyes as I got to my feet. I burned red in embarrassment and snatched the fleece throw on the sofa nearby, but it didn't cover enough of me for him to take his eyes away. "I'm going to wash up, it won't be but a few minutes. Keep watch for anyone coming, but with the storm knocking out everything, we should have at least an hour. I don't think Juliet will come back on her own, and those hunters... are probably not in any shape to do anything more."

"As you wish, Sable. But it's not necessary. I think a better use of my time would be to help you wash..."

Oh, no. He was going to just use that as an excuse to try to bone me in the shower this time, and he wasn't even trying to hide it. I hurried off before he could grab me, cursing my luck.

***

The house had shrunk since Juliet left it. That wasn't unusual. Once the master of the home departed, the home's magic was off limits, but that was convenient for me. I only needed to find her bedroom to borrow some clothes (sorry, Juliet) and the bathroom to take a record-breaking speed-shower.

I had brought my emergency cash with me in case Juliet demanded hard currency for her services yesterday, so I deposited the three hundred dollars on her nightstand after snatching her oldest plain t-shirt and the pair of jeans closest to my size from the bottom of her closet. I wasn't crass enough to 'borrow' underclothes, so I would just have to go commando until I could get to a shop or something.

Before leaving her bedroom after my shower, I put my hands together and made the sign of thanks for her hospitality, even if Juliet was absent. The money I left should be enough to compensate her for her help and the single change of clothes, and I had stolen nothing else. That should be enough to escape the hexing energy that witch houses usually inflicted on thieves. If I was lucky, I would only be hit with a few days of minor bad luck, and then it would wear off afterward.

"Leaving already?" Asmodeus drawled when I charged into the living room. "This place is lovely. We could stay longer."

"Not a chance. We've been here too long already." I checked the clock on the wall. Twenty minutes. We needed to get out of here, pronto. I had my knapsack that I'd originally brought with me, stuffed full of the clothes Asmodeus had stripped off of me earlier as well as the fresh change I'd taken from Juliet's closet, and I was ready to go. "Come on. If either of us are caught, then we're both screwed. Let's go. By the way, while I drive, I fully expect you to explain what your intentions are with me. Every. Single. Detail."

The cocky bastard laughed, but gave in with a wide smile. The symbol on my wrist tingled in response.

"Whatever you desire," he said and beckoned me closer. "I won't leave a single thing out."