❥013

❥ ✧ ❥ ✧ ❥ ✧ ❥ ✧ ❥ ✧ ❥ ✧ ❥ ✧ ❥ ✧ ❥ ✧ ❥

chris wasn't moving, and neither was mavis. she just couldn't. everything had happened in the span of a couple seconds and she was still trying to process that that was really chris laying on the ground.

nick and briar went running onto the field, making their way over to chris. eddie was trying his best to pull matt off of james' body, but he was relentlessly throwing punches.

mavis watched as cara now ran across the field, but briar forced her to get off, knowing she was not needed there at the moment.

still, mavis watched as the red patch grew bigger, and she stayed paralyzed in place.

what if he never woke up?

a tear fell from her eye, and she tried her best to breathe, but everything happened so quickly, too quickly, and she just didn't know what to do.

what was she supposed to do?

"MAVIS! COME HELP!" briar's voice yelling at her from across the field snapped her out of her thoughts.

mavis started to shakily make her way onto the field, where complete and utter chaos was ensuing.

some of the boys on the team were also trying to get punches thrown on james, while the coaches were screaming at the boys to stop.

eddie finally managed to get both of matt's hands behind his back, and his eyes looked up to see mavis staggering across the field.

to anyone watching, she looked almost lost, like she didn't even know where the injured boy was.

when she reached chris, nick, and briar, they had her grab him by the feet, hoisting his body up towards a stretcher that two paramedics were holding up.

once they placed his body on top, he was taken away into the parking lot, where they waited a couple of minutes for the ambulance to show up. when it did, he was put inside before the doors shut and mavis could no longer see him, or anything that was going on as it drove away in a hurry.

matt and nick both started to cry, having terrible thoughts of their brother possibly never being the same again.

matt pulled mavis in for a hug, and so she held him, as tight as she possibly could. it might not make sense to anyone considering she had never really cared much for chris, but right then, she needed that hug too.

the group had all been sitting in the waiting room of their local hospital all night. matt held onto mavis' hand to calm his anxiety, while eddie let nick rest his head on his shoulder.

briar sat wide awake, her eyes never once coming close to shutting. she had been one hundred percent alert about everything going on around them since the moment chris was pushed.

marylou was frantic, not being able to keep calm while she waited for them to let visitors in. that was her baby, her youngest child.

the triplets father was on edge, but he was doing his best to keep his wife stable.

the sun was starting to rise again and mavis watched it as she rubbed circles around matt's hand with her thumb. she could literally feel his pulse right through his hand, it was pounding.

a little while later, mavis was finally on the verge of falling asleep, until a doctor came in with news, making everyone sit up attentively.

"the good news is he's awake, we honestly weren't sure at first if he would wake up this fast, so that is positive. however, he doesn't remember anything that happened, he doesn't remember lacrosse, or really anything that led up to his injury. we're not sure if he'll remember people he knows, so just be patient with him." the older woman informed them.