❥014

❥ ✧ ❥ ✧ ❥ ✧ ❥ ✧ ❥ ✧ ❥ ✧ ❥ ✧ ❥ ✧ ❥ ✧ ❥

everyone was watching mavis' reaction closely. no one was really sure how she would take it. chris and mavis had never been particularly close, or ever even liked each other for that matter, but they had always been there.

and that was exactly why mavis couldn't take it.

she blinked at the unrecognizable boy in front of her, trying to keep her composure. she felt like throwing up. she had to get out of there.

she took one last look at chris, before walking swiftly out of the room. as soon as she left, chris looked to his parents with a sad expression, feeling guilty he couldn't remember the girl.

"it's okay chris, not everything will come right away." his mom gently picked up his hand, soothing him.

"she's right." the doctor cut in, "some things will likely come back with time. the only thing is, no one should tell him. he needs to remember things himself, trying to convince him of everything that has happened will only confuse him and scramble his mind more than it's already been scrambled." she said.

"so we can't even tell him about his life?" matt asked, not liking the sound of it.

"no. it's his life after all, we know he can remember, but he has to get there himself. you saw how it didn't work with..." she paused, waiting for someone to finish.

"mavis." matt cut in.

"right, sometimes telling him all of this information is too overwhelming, he'll just need to take his time and recover." she informed the group.

"and what if a year goes by and he's still the same? can't remember a thing?" matt continued to question.

"we have hope that he will recover quickly, but yes, even if it takes a year or longer, you can't cross that line." she reaffirmed, and matt did not look pleased at all.

"how long will he be in the hospital for?" marylou asked the woman.

"probably just a couple of days, so we can monitor him and run some tests." the doctor replied.

matt let out a heavy sigh while the others shot him looks that said 'stop it', knowing chris could easily feel at fault for his sour mood.

"i'm truly sorry, but this is just how it has to be done." she turned and apologized to matt, who was still eyeing her judgementally.

the whole thing seemed insufferable to him. it was now his turn to get out of there.

after making his way through and out of the hospital, he spotted mavis sitting on the grass outside.

he walked over, taking a seat next to her in silence.

she turned to look at him, and when he saw her defeated expression, he was a little surprised. it wasn't that he thought mavis had no heart or anything, but she'd never had a heart for chris; at least that's what he had always been made to think. it was what everyone thought.

"are you okay mave?" he asked her.

"yeah, i just can't believe it. he doesn't remember me matt." she spoke, her voice coming out shaky. she was clearly not okay.

"i know, i'm sorry he doesn't. i really thought he might. you've basically always been in his life, so it shocked me too. but hey, maybe he'll come around and remember you sooner than you think. then you guys can go back to arguing and messing with each other like you normally do." he let out a small laugh, but it was faint.