❥016

❥ ✧ ❥ ✧ ❥ ✧ ❥ ✧ ❥ ✧ ❥ ✧ ❥ ✧ ❥ ✧ ❥ ✧ ❥

after waiting for nearly thirty minutes, matt's curiosity got the best of him. i mean, how was it possible that mavis and chris could be talking for that long?

he stood up from his slightly warm waiting room seat, and turned down the hall, stopping in his tracks when he caught sight of his best friend sitting outside the door of chris' room crying.

he wasn't sure whether to leave her alone or go up to her. mavis hated crying in front of people, matt knew that.

and crying in front of someone when it was over chris? yeah, he was sure mavis would just hate that even more.

he turned back on his heel, letting her have the moment to herself. part of what made matt such an amazing friend to the girl was his ability to know what she would want in any given situation.

he knew her like the back of his hand.

while he was dying to know what had set her off, he knew walking away meant having to pretend he didn't see anything, like it didn't happen.

he hated not knowing, but there were sacrifices he was willing to make for the girl, this being just one of the small ones.

the school week was nearing an end and mavis had still been solely focused on her studies. it wasn't that different from how she normally was, but she had been practically isolating herself from her friends, which had never happened before.

all of them were very worried about the girl, especially matt, given he saw her breakdown in the hospital hallway just days before.

one thing he did know however, was that she would be coming out of her little trance that morning. he knew it was wrong, but matt didn't tell her chris had been sent home from the hospital and given the green light to go to school.

it wasn't even necessarily his choice. mavis had been ignoring his texts and calls and even eye contact for the past couple of days.

he couldn't have let her know if he wanted to.

so, when he pulled up to her driveway despite her previous statement about getting rides from her parents for a while, he wasn't surprised to see the look on her face when she came outside after hearing matt's usual honk.

her eyes were wide, like she was trying to make them as big as possible so she could see as much of what was going on in front of her as she could.

mavis barely moved as she watched the passenger side window roll down, chris' face coming fully into view, no longer slightly sheltered by the glass window.

"hey mavis." he said happily, and once again, mavis did not even bat an eye.

"MAVIS!" nick screeched from the backseat, sending her body into a quick shock where she flinched for a moment, coming back into conscience with herself.

the old habits started to kick in, and she nearly screamed at chris to get the fuck out of her seat, before realizing she couldn't just do that.

she remembered the first day of senior year, just weeks ago when he had been sitting in her spot just to get a rise out of her. this obviously wasn't the same scenario, so she couldn't really treat it as such.

"hey." she replied instead, slowly making her way to open the back door of the van.

"he's back at school today?" mavis looked to matt as soon as she was situated in her apparently new spot.