𝐁𝐞𝐭𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐧 𝐡𝐢𝐦

Pairing: Alyssa x Reader
Warnings: None
Pronouns: They/them

----------

It wasn't really fair. Not on her, and not on (Y/n). On one of the coldest nights of the season, to one of the coldest hearts, (Y/n) faced and saw him dancing with another. Although, this sight was not face-to-face. Which was lucky, actually; if it was, then he would've seen their heartbroken expression. Maybe he would've even walked up to them and offered (Y/n) his hand to dance, but he didn't. (Y/n) would continue to go unnoticed by the person who had sworn to give them everything.

And it stings, doesn't it? How betrayal can feel. So painful, both mentally and physically- Perhaps even emotionally. Actually, it was certain that it would pain them emotionally. How could it not? Because while he was there in the centre of the room, dancing with somebody other than themself, they were alone. The kind of alone that felt completely abandoning.

It really wasn't fair. How were they supposed to predict that the argument they had may have caused this? Not even an argument, a fight. There was yelling, screaming. There was but only words holding the two of them back and the thought that they would regret it later on. And even though they should've predicted that something would arise from their spout, they prayed that it wouldn't. Because however mad that they would be at Clay, they still wanted to believe that they loved him.

What was it all for? Was the dance to make them jealous as they'd have to lay their eyes on their boyfriend dancing with somebody else? Or was it actually because he'd have the audacity to look for someone new, or to fall for someone better. Because now the two of them were stood in completely different areas of the room, letting the music drown their sorrows. At least, that's what (Y/n) did. Their fingernails dug deep into their palms, to the point where if their nails were just a little bit longer, they probably would have broken through their own skin. They themself had nobody to dance with, so they resorted to standing in the corner of the room beside one of the snack tables, feeling foolish that they had spent the past two hours trying to perfect their outfit for the night. They were the upsetting epitome of a teenager crying on prom night. What made it even worse was that they weren't even crying. They were just heartbroken. Heartbroken and alone.

There was nothing stopping them from leaving, so why didn't they? Instead they let themself wallow in sadness as Clay went on with his night, acting like it had little to no affect on him. It scared (Y/n) to think that it actually might not have. With their elbow resting against the table, they turned their head back down to their wine glass, their lips quivering at the sight of the half-full cup. Red's the colour of love. It is also, coincidentally, the colour of danger. With a glass half full of anger and pain, they wanted nothing more than to down the beverage in one sitting and keep doing so until they forgot all of the problems that came with tonight. But when they lifted the glass up to their lips, all they did was take a small sip of it before turning back to stare at Clay through the gaps in the crowded room.

They felt their hand vibrating and their fingers twitching very slightly. Was it psychotic to want to just swing at the girl that he was with and push her to the side while they danced with him themself? Surely not. Maybe not psychotic, but it was weird to think about. It wasn't even the girl's fault, at least they didn't think so. There was a good chance that she didn't even know who (Y/n) was and was certain that she was dancing with a random man who was interested in her.

Imagine how the girl would feel if she found out that the man that she was dancing with was already with somebody else? (Y/n) would at least like to believe that they were still together. Oh, it was so irritating. A myriad of problems already drowning them and this new lady was just ignition to the fuse. Would she even do anything if she found out? Would (Y/n) want to test that? They'd seem like an insane and jealous partner, but at least it would get the point across. Perhaps even light some chaos. He'd probably end up hating them in the end for that, but who would care? They wouldn't care. They're too mad at Clay to care. They're mad at the woman too. They were mad at everyone-