C7- Janson's Sanctuary

Chapter Seven - Janson's Sanctuary

   A few minutes later, the door opened. We stood up as a man walked in maybe around forty years old or something. Not important for me to acknowledge.

   "You kids doing alright?" He asked as we walked toward him.

    He seemed to be nice as he apologized for what happened outside of this building. For sure about what attacked us before we got inside.

    Newt's hand reached for my arms; pulling me behind him. "Stay."

    Those words somehow trigger something- a memory. A memory that was buried deep into the ocean of memories. Too deep that I couldn't pull out.

     That man told us that he was the reason we were still alive and that was his intention. Somehow, my conscience made me feel as if this man should not be trusted, as by looking at his face, there was an evil intelligence lying behind those eyes.

      Newt and I stayed at the back as that man told us to follow him.

     "I don't trust this man," I told Newt.

     "Neither am I," Newt replied with his hand still on my arm.

      As if hearing our conversation, that man stopped in his track and turned around. "Trust me. That's how you paid my service to you."

     Even if he was saying this to everyone, I could feel that he dedicated those words to me.

      He continued walking as we all followed him. While walking, he introduced himself as Janson, and this place was his sanctuary and he ran this place- to save kids like us- the immune ones, from the outside world.

     When he recited the words 'home between home', it made me shiver. His explanation about the outside world made me think about how it would look like with the virus called The Flare and the scorching world, where many people were dying, and kids like us were some kind of treasure for them.

     The last thing Janson told us, W.C.K.D would never find us again, and that we were safe here, in his sanctuary.

     Newt moved his hand from my arm to my hand and intertwined our hands while walking. As if Minho was eyeing on us all the time, he walked in between us which made us lose each other's grasp.

* * *

     We were told to clean ourselves and went straight to the check-up room.

     I was separated from the others, as was Teresa. After changing into some comfortable clothes, I was told to wait in this private check-up room.

     I was sitting on the chair while thinking about Thomas's dream about us, but why did I find it hard for me to believe in him?

    My thoughts were swept away when the door was opened and revealed a woman, a bit older than me.

    She walked inside, "Hello there-" her voice trailed off as soon as she saw me.

    She has black hair and fair skin with brown eyes.

    She closed the door as she scurried to me. "Jean...?"

    I frowned, "I'm not Jean. I'm Y/N."

    She gawked a bit, "Oh, God. I thought I would be losing you...." she said, "Newt is here..."

    Confusion kept growing inside me after hearing what she just said about me being 'Jean'. She happened to know about Newt as well, and not only 'know', but knowing him for life.

    "Of course he is. He escaped the maze with us." I laughed nervously.

    "Do you remember anything?" she sat in front of me.

   "Sadly, no. Like why does everyone keep asking me if I remember anything or not? Am I supposed to remember something?"

   She sighed, "Yes. You shouldn't even be here. This place isn't for you." She walked to the drawer filled with some kind of medicine. "I know you will survive the trials."

    "What do you mean? Do you know me?" I surveyed her.

    She walked toward me with a syringe, "Irene. Dr Irene. Remember? I am your friend..."

    She's my friend.

    "Then tell me something I need to know."

    "This would do," she stood behind me, "stay still, it's gonna sting a bit." With that, she pushed the syringe at the back of my neck.

      I clenched my fist to endure the stinging pain. It took me a while to relax as I lay down on the bed.

      "You'll get your memories back in time, as I don't have all your memories. They keep it somewhere else...or maybe already deleted it." She rubbed my hand, "This serum would help you to gain your memory slowly."

      "Is it true-"

       Someone knocked on the door.

      "Just beware of Teresa. Never trust her, and I keep them safe. Away from any danger...well, for now." She walked over to the door and opened them for me.

      "Who are they?"

      Her expression pained, "We'll talk later. You should go now."

     I was brought to the main check-up room by two guards. To my astonishment, I was in the same room as Newt.

     Newt looked like a new person, his hair finally looked fresh. Only a small scar on his cheek made him more attractive and now I noticed how tall he was.

     I shifted uncomfortably in my seat.

    "Everything's okay?" Newt asked.

     I nodded, "you look good."

     He giggled, "Well, I thought I look even more attractive when I was in the Glade."

    Glade— I kinda miss that place. Yet, remembering about the Glade also brought up the pain of losing Chuck.

   "'Course you are," I mumbled.

   "What's that?" Newt asked the male doctor who holding a syringe in his hand.

   "Vitamins," he said, "for both of you."

   Something weird about it. My conscience told me that it wasn't 'vitamins'. It was something else. Yet, we couldn't do anything as Newt seemed to trust these people.

[Edited on: 14th August 2023 🌿]