C11 - The Necklace

Chapter Eleven - The necklace

                                                       [Y/N'S]

We escaped from Janson’s sanctuary as we followed Teresa into an abandoned place. I knew she was still muddled about the current situation. While she was trying to find the answer to her questions and her confusion, my eyes were busy scanning the surroundings.

It was dark and dusty. Almost like this place had been left for years as half of the place sunken into the dune.

“Oi, shuck face,” Minho finally talked to me, “you okay?”

I scoffed with his question- didn’t believe that he would ask me that.

“You care?”

He looked away - trying to hide his smile, “should I?”

Even though he looked away, it didn’t make the smile on his lip left unnoticed. Did he care about me? It didn’t matter. At least he talked to me. I ignored him when they started talking about what Newt called ‘mountain people’.

“The Right Arm?” I chimed in. “Will they help us?”

“If they really against W.C.K.D.” Thomas said, “They can help us.”

We all fell into silence before Winston called us, “Hey guys, check this out.” He said, “Minho, give me the light.”

“Footsteps?” I frowned, “does that mean…we’re not the first to be here?" I looked at Thomas.

“Could be,” Thomas replied.

We started to part away to scan the whole place. I couldn’t lie that Teresa was walking with me. It made me feel annoyed. I knew she was also telepathic, and I’m trying so hard not to think anything related to Thomas - especially something bad.

When I was walking, I felt a small bump under my shoes. I stepped backwards and picked it up - a necklace. It didn’t have any corrosion on it - at all like it was still new, and someone just dropped this a few days ago?

I scanned the heart-shaped pendant that was engraved with ‘R’s’ on it. My conscience told me that I’d seen this necklace before as it felt familiar in my eyes.

“Nice necklace?” Teresa said. “You might want to keep ‘em?”

I nodded slightly and went to Newt. “What is this place?”

“No idea.” He replied.

“Let’s pack some stuff up.” Thomas said as he wore a jacket, “Anything you might need. We’ll part away. See anything we could find and get back here.”

“Where are you going?” I looked at him with a bit of concern flashing across my face.

He held my hands, “I’ll be fine. Stay close to them.”

I nodded as he left along with Minho. As the others were finding what they needed, I looked at Newt and noticed a small scar on his cheek.

“What happened to your cheek?” I scrutinized his face.

“Just a small scar, I guess.” He smiled a bit.

“Come, sit here.” I grabbed his hand as I told him to sit on the upside-down water bucket. “It’ll get infected if you didn’t clean them.”

As I was unzipping my bag, I could feel Newt staring at me. And it wasn’t wrong - he did stare at me.

“You know how to clean a wound?” Newt asked.

“ Maybe I was a doctor back before the maze?” I chuckled a bit, “but these are just basic things that everyone should know, isn’t it?”

“Who gave you this stuff?” 

I sighed sourly upon hearing his question as it reminded me of Dr. Irene. “Dr. Irene.” I faked a smile. “Stay still, okay? It might hurt a bit.”

After cleaning his scar, I put everything back into my bag and was about to stand up. “Wait…” Newt grasped softly on my hand, “May I see that necklace?”

For sure, he’d seen me picking up that necklace from the ground. I took it out of my pocket and handed it to him.

For a second, he scrutinized the necklace. “It’s pretty.” Newt stood up, “Why don’t you just wear this?”

My eyes tried not to look at him, “Can I?” I said, I mean…that isn’t mine.”

“But you took it, so it’s yours.” He started to put the necklace around my neck. “That looks good on you.” Newt mustered a smile.

I returned the smile, “Thanks.”

“Y/N!” Teresa called. “Come here.”

I chuckled, “I gotta go. Do not touch your cheek, okay?”

Newt cupped both of my cheeks and smiled, “Okay, Dr. Y/N.”

I walked over to Teresa, who was scrounging into a pile of clothes. I badly wanted to know everything about her as it didn’t feel right whenever I’m with her. As if there was something that she hid beyond those friendly smiles and eyes that seemed defiant to me.

“Clothes?” I stood beside her. “This place looks like a mall?”

Teresa stood up with a few clothes on her arm, “it was. Find new clothes, Y/N.” She walked into the small changing room.

After she left, I put my bag down and started to find new clothes. I picked up a red long sleeve turtle neck shirt and black high-waist jeans.