C8 - Sleeping together

Chapter eight - sleeping together

Once we were done with all the required check-ups, they informed us that we could go to the cafeteria. Yet, I wasn't included for some reason.

"You sure you okay?" Newt stood up, "You don't have to stay if you don't want to."

"I wish I could say no. But don't worry Newt. I'm fine." I gave him a smile of reassurance.

He sat back down and took my hand with his brown eyes looking straight into mine. "Make sure to tell me if they did anything to you, okay?"

I nodded, "you worry too much, Newt. I'll be fine."

Newt chuckled, "How can I not? I'll be waiting for you at the cafeteria."

[ THOMAS'S ]

After seeing Newt and Y/N together at the check-up room, I couldn't stop thinking of the memory I once lost about Y/N. However, it was weird that I seemed not to remember everything about her, just a few. That one thing pained me - they erased her memory, every single moment that ever occurred in her life.

She shouldn't be in the maze with me.

At the cafeteria, we talked about the first kid who arrived at this sanctuary named Aris. Knowing that we weren't the only ones who were stuck in the maze sent me a deep shiver of gladness. The thought of Y/N's whereabouts kept poking me. "Weren't you with her at the check-up room?" I looked over at Newt.

"Yes. But she was told to stay there for a while." Newt answered, "Don't worry. She'll be fine."

"Yeah," I mumbled as my eyes wander behind the large glass window - where you could see who passed the hallway. My spirit lifted when I saw Y/N - walking with Teresa along with a few nurses, heading to a room. I stormed to the door but was pushed back by the guards. "Y/N!! Y/N!!" I yelled her name, and I didn't care if the others were looking at me like I'm a psychopath.

I couldn't trust this place much. After what W.C.K.D had done to Y/N, I find it hard to let her out of my sight.

[ Y/N'S ]

A dark-skinned nurse held my arms a bit tighter when she heard Thomas's voice. "Come on. Faster." She forced me to walk, which I never wanted to go with them in the first place. The way they forced me back to the check-up room broke my trust even more in this suspicious sanctuary.

Thomas's voice was still on our tails - yelling my name. The nurse stopped in her track once Dr. Irene blocked our way. "Let me handle her. You may take Teresa with you. Y/N will go with me." Dr. Irene smiled.

I sighed in relief after the suspicious nurses and doctors left. Dr. Irene took my hand, "There will be no check-up today. It's going to be tomorrow night. Just take some rest after dinner."

"Thank you."

"No worries. Now go and grab your dinner. He's waiting for you, Newt." She patted my shoulder before leaving.

As I walked inside the cafeteria, all eyes were on me. All these kids here were also stuck in the maze and their presence here meant they survived the maze. Thomas grasped my arms, "are you okay? What did they do to you?" His eyes bored into mine - as if trying to dig a lie beyond my eyes.

I sighed as I am afraid to tell him about the nurses forcing me to go under a test. "I'm fine. They said they want to run some tests on me." I had to admit, as with Thomas, I felt as if I could never lie to him.

He murmured the word 'test', before letting out a sigh, "go sit over there," he pointed at Newt, "I'll bring you some food."

Before I could protest, he left. As I took the seat beside Newt, I could spot the gladers, Minho, Frypan, and Jack along with the other kids from another maze.

Minho's face looked fresh and clean with his maroon t-shirt. He glanced at me and snickered, "thought you were sent back to the maze."

"For goodness sake, Minho. Stop mocking her for once." Newt scolded Minho.

Frypan spoke, "Wow, Newt. You've never defended someone before."

"Shuck it. It's different. Y/N is a girl. She deserves to be treated nicely." Newt sneered.

"Yeah, whatever, just admit that you-" Minho was cut off when Thomas took a seat beside me with a tray of food that seemed delicious.

                                     * * *

Dinner was over and we were shoved into our bunks afterward. However, I wasn't with Teresa or the other girls but had to share with Thomas and the gladers. When the door was locked by the guards, it added to the suspicion in me. Why would they lock the door if they knew that we had nowhere to go?

Winston fell asleep right after he laid on his bunk. We had run the maze and we deserved a high quality of sleep so I chose the bottom bunk near Newt.

The ticking sound from the clock was the only company I had as I couldn't fall asleep - thinking of my conversation with Dr. Irene back in her room. She called me Jean and she gave me back my memory, which would come back in time.

"Y/N?" one whispered, which caught my attention.

"Newt?" I whispered back.

"Can't sleep?" he asked.

I nodded slightly as I looked over at him.

"Come here then. I can't sleep as well."

I climbed out of bed and walked over to his bunk. He moved a bit to give me a bit of space to sit. "I bet you are bloody scared sleeping with us, aren't you?"

I couldn't say no to that. "Yes...."

"I'm here. Lay down, beside me. I will protect you from these shanks."

I looked at him and smiled a bit as I lay down beside him with my back facing him.

"If you don't mind," he put his arms around my waist after fixing the blanket around us. "You know, to let them know that you're with me."

I was about to say something when suddenly we heard Minho's voice from above.

"If you two are going to make baby, please not here. I'm trying to sleep. No distractions please."

"Shut up, Minho. We're about to sleep as well. So shuck off." Newt said.

[ THOMAS'S ]

I thought it was just me who was turning and tossing, but it turned out that Y/N also couldn't fall asleep as well. I forced myself to look like I'm sleeping while facing the wall. A few seconds ago, I heard their conversations and now, they slept together.

My heart sank a bit once I turned around. The sight in front of me had deepened the wound in my heart. Newt's arms were wrapped around her. While staring at her, I recalled the last time I'd seen her sleeping like this - no worries and doubts going around inside her head. At least, before the incident happened. Deep inside, there was a spark of jealousy within me.

I shouldn't be jealous of them. She loved Newt first and Newt knew her first. I was just a third party in their lives. And now, she was here with us. She has gone too far from home- our home.

[Edited on: 18th August 2023 🌿]