C10 - Dr. Irene

Chapter Ten - Dr. Irene

That dream made me awake and I realized that last night, I fell asleep in Newt's arm. I sighed at the sight of an empty bunk in front of us, which was occupied by Thomas and now it was empty. As were the others. For sure they were already up.

Assuming that Newt was still sleeping, I turned around slowly, and to my astonishment, he was awake. I tried to cover up my laugh with him in front of me.

Newt giggled, "Morning, love." He greeted.

As if the world went silent, only the words from last night's dream were loud in my head.

'They've been protecting us until now.'

Who were they? Protecting us from what?

Newt cleared his throat which made me look at him. "Hey, you okay?" he frowned a bit, "you look uneasy. Is something bothering you?" he caressed my cheek with his brown eyes looking into mine.

I let out a fake giggle, to cover up what lived in my head since the day we left the maze. Everything I saw inside the underground laboratory. Yet, I wasn't ready to tell anybody.

The feeling of comfy when I'm around Newt was bizarre - as if we'd been this way before. Too bad, I still could not recall everything perfectly.

Minho's voice echoed inside the room. "Get up, love birds. Don't just sleep all day." He shouted at us, which reminded me of last night's dream. It couldn't be just a dream.

"Shut up for a second Minho, can you?" Newt replied.

"Let's get up," I whispered to Newt as I began to get up. Yet, he pulled me back into his arms, smiling at me.

"Ignore him." Newt wrapped his arms around me. "Let's stay a bit more."

Silence, before I came up with a question. "Did we...know each other before the maze?" I asked.

"I don't know. It's not impossible...as you know... I kinda felt attached to you since the beginning I saw you at the Glade." He said - loud enough just for the two of us to hear. "But I still can't confirm that feeling yet. I mean, attached as a friend or...lover. I can't remember. How about you?"

Newt would never remember his past as W.C.K.D already erased all of our memory. Yet, I am thankful that Dr.Irene gave me back my memory because I felt that it was important for me to remember my past. What should I tell Newt? I couldn't tell him that Dr.Irene had given me back my memory. "Nothing..." I lied, "But I feel something towards Thomas."

"Like what? Love?" His voice was stern and I could sense a bit of jealousy.

"No." I laughed gently, "that's not what I meant. It's a long-lost pain, and don't ask me about it. I don't understand it as well."

For a second, he was silent.

"Wish you would arrive first than Teresa and Thomas at the Glade." Newt changed the topic as he giggled.

"Oh," I laughed gently, "why is that?"

He hummed, "Well, you know, just so I could show you around the Glade and we could spend some more time together?" He beamed.

"I would love to, but we don't belong at the Glade," I remarked.

Newt nodded, "you're not wrong. Let's get ready now."

* * *

After what had happened during supper, we were locked inside our room as for what Thomas deeds. I glared at Thomas. "What were you thinking? You know you can't get out of the cafeteria until they tell us to, right?"