C1- another box during a tough time

c h a p t e r  1;
another box during a tough time

[Y/N'S]

I opened my eyes and only encountered darkness. There was nothing around me but a few wooden boxes - engraved with W.C.K.D. on them. I looked around me, and I was in a metal box. Except for the darkness, it wasn't the one that made me scared but the movement of this box I was in. It moved at an abnormal speed as the metal was screeching. I couldn't make out any conclusion as the only thing in my head, this was the worst way to die. I needed to get out of this thing before it crashed as I saw it almost reach the 'surface'.

"Help! Someone! Help!!" I screamed at the top of my lung. Yet, it was useless.

Suddenly, the metal box shuddered, which made me fly backwards- slamming my back on the metal box. I groaned in pain as I landed face-down on the cold floor. I stood up, and my eyes were wide opened when the metal box I was in hit the 'surface'. I thought it would crash, but, thank goodness, someone opened the box.

I tried to look out, and all my ears could register was a scream and outside, the world was dark as it indicated nighttime. Before I could do anything, an unknown person got into the box and closed the double sliding door of the box.

Each minute passed by and the screaming got louder. He pulled my hand and pinned me to the box wall with his palm on my mouth. Only my heartbeat was loud. He removed his palm and opened the double sliding door and got out of the box.

I began to panic when he left because I couldn't even think of anything right now; as if everything were scrambling.

He handed out his hand for me to reach. "Faster, you shank!"

I grabbed his hand as he pulled me out of the box. The fire was high in the sky as it burned the place around. A few people were running for their lives from something - a four-metal legs creature with a head almost like a spider; a mixture of animal and machine. He grabbed my hand as we run.

"What's going on?!!!" I shouted; still managed to say something though my mind was hurting.

He didn't answer me till I saw a few other people running towards us. "Newt!!" he shouted, "over here!!"

The guy I supposed to be Newt glanced at me before changing his gaze to the guy beside me. "Where's the others?!" the boy beside me asked while panting hard. The reflections of fire danced in his eyes when he looked over at the burning place.

"They're with Thomas," Newt said with the weirdest accent I've ever heard - a thick accent. It wasn't weird, maybe I'd forgotten things, and that was why I think it was weird. "Let's go!" he shouted. "Go! Go!"

Then we started running again. I won't lie that it was hard AF to run when somebody was holding your hand. It made your leg wobble, and you could easily stumble - just like what happened now. Luckily, he grabbed my arm swiftly and helped me to get on my feet again.

From afar, I saw a house - not likely, as it was built with wood sticks- conjoined them together to form a shelter.

He swung the door opened, which I think would flew if he pulled it a bit harder. He pushed me first, and then we all got inside as he closed the door. My heartbeat was at the most abnormal speed as I stared at the door; not realising that there were some other people inside this little shelter.

"Okay. I know this isn't the right time to judge, but he needs a proper haircut." One said that I didn't know who he talked to.

The first guy who pulled me from the box scoffed, "It's a girl, you shank."

My eyes scanned them. Somehow, they were all look familiar, their voices and faces, all scrambled in my mind. Yet I couldn't remember. Who were these people? I thought.

"Why'd they send us a new greenie during this time?" the brunette boy's voice strained.

"How am I supposed to know?" he replied in a sassy tone.

"Everyone's alrigh'?" the accent-boy, Newt spoke - looking at everyone inside of this shelter before his eyes laid on me; observing me up and down. "So, this is what they sent to us during the grievers' attack?"

From the dark side of the room, someone was talking as he walked closer to us- letting his face get a little bit of light. "You. Why are you even here?" a dark skin boy said as fear flashed across his face with a bead of sweat running from his forehead.

I was still fighting with my own thoughts, so I remained silent.

"You know her, Alby?" A kid with curly hair questioned.

"Who didn't?" he snickered, "she's-''

The brunette boy chimed in, "She's what...? You remember her?"

Before anyone could say anything, we heard a noise growling, coming from the roof. A icy terror washed through my body when a shadow passed on our roof and was suddenly gone. I moved backwards, and I bumped into somebody. I didn't have time to look who that person was.

"Quiet!" the brunette boy whisper-shouted at us.

Right before our eyes, something crashed through the shelter we were in; breaking through the wall as its metal legs grabbed the kid with curly hair. While everyone was trying to pull him from the griever, the griever showed its sting, yet, before it could sting the kid, Alby crashes its leg using a stick which was good enough to break the creature's leg.

The griever let go of the kid, and the brunette boy pushed the kid away in my direction and said while looking straight into my eyes, "Keep your eyes on him." I nodded in anticipation with the fear still engulfing me.

The creature backed away after a few failed attempts. However, the griever pulled Alby by his legs. The brunette boy caught his arms - didn't want to let him go.

"Get them out of here, Thomas!" Alby said before the griever pulled him out.

Hearing his name hurt my heart; as if it remembered the pain that my mind didn't. Thomas stormed out of the shelter as the others followed.

Outside was an ocean of fire. From the smoke, I saw a few people scurrying towards us before running and giving Thomas a painful punch on his face.

I gazed at my surroundings and a heavy wariness took over me.

[ We reached 200 reads! ]