Chapter One: Welcome to Hawkins

It's late October 1984. The air is crisp and cold. The earth is shades of brown with a sprinkle of red, orange, and yellow leaves. I'm walking down the side walk towards Hawkins High School. I'd drive but the school is just down the road and it's nice outside. A breath of fresh air is just what I need. I was assigned to give a tour of the school to a new student. I'm always picked to do these things. My grades are good, teachers love me, and I'm kind. Perfect material for a tour guide. This usually results in me being the new kids first friend that gets left behind when they find a group to hang out with. I knew just about everyone in the school, but very little of them were still friends with me. I sit with the cheerleaders most of the time. They can be bitches, but for the most part they're alright. I never talk to them anyway.

    I look both ways as I jog across the street to the high school. I'm nearly hit by a blue Camaro speeding into the school parking lot.
"Asshole" I mutter under my breath.
I watch as the car halts into a parking space. The driver's door opens and a guy steps out. The passenger door swings open and a red haired girl gets out. She slams the door shut and throws her skateboard on the ground. She skates to the school. The guy throws his cigarette to the ground. Everyone in the parking lot is staring at him. Girls are twirling their hair and looking him up and down. I roll my eyes and go into the school.

    I head to the office to wait for the new student. The guy with the Camaro walks in and leans against the front desk. He picks a toothpick out of the tray of them on the desk. He puts it in his mouth and uses his tongue to move it around. He looks at me with an open mouthed smile and winks. I sigh and cross my arms. He's attractive don't get me wrong, but he seems cocky. My thoughts are interrupted by the principal walking in behind his desk. He extends his hand to the guy.
"You must be William Hargrove" he says.
"Billy" the guy says as he spits the toothpick over the desk.
The principal retracts his hand and looks at the toothpick on the ground in disgust.
"Well, Billy, this is Samantha. She'll be showing you around the school today" the principal says.
"Sam" I say mockingly.
The principal hands Billy a paper with his classes on it. I take the paper from his hands and look at it. I shove the paper into his chest and walk out of the door. I turn around to Billy leaning in the doorway using his foot to hold the door open.
"Are you just gonna sit there and look pretty or are you going to follow me?" I ask with all sarcasism intended.
He chuckles and shakes his head as he leans into a step towards me. I turn back around and head to first hour calculus. Of course we have classes together. As if toting him around all day wasn't going to be annoying enough.