Chapter Six: "That Guy?"

The commotion about the night of Tina's party slowly dwindled down. There was the occasional slut comment and meow but the hardcore bullying subsided.

It was almost the end of the day when I went to the locker room to grab my clothes to take home and wash. I walked past the boys locker room door and could hear a faint conversation. I paid no attention to it until I heard Billy's voice. He and who I assumed was Tommy H. were nagging another boy about his relationship. I leaned closer to the door. I could barely make out the name Nancy. They must be picking on Nancy Wheeler's boyfriend Steve Harrington. I had heard that they got in a fight at the Halloween party.
"There are always other bitches in the sea" I could hear Billy say.
The showers turned off and I scurried away before someone spotted me eavesdropping.

I went to Chrissy's after school although I had been avoiding her since Halloween night. I knocked on the door and her mom answered.
"Hello Samantha how are you?" she asked.
"Good. Great. I'm good. Is Chrissy home?"
"Yes she's right upstairs trying on some clothes."
"Okay thanks" I say and walk up to Chrissy's room.
I slowly approach her bedroom door. Just as I'm about to knock I can hear sniffling from behind the door. I knock on the door.
"Chrissy? It's me Sam. Can I come in?"
I hear shuffling and then a quiet yeah. I open the door to Chrissy sitting on her bed surrounded by shopping bags and clothes. I can tell that she's been crying, but she's trying to hide it. I sit next to her.
"Do you wanna talk about it?" I ask.
She stares at the dress in her lap and shakes her head.
"You can talk to me Chrissy. You know that right?" I ask.
"Yeah I know, but there's nothing to talk about so....why'd you come over?" she responds.
I want to keep asking her what's going on but I can tell that she wants to change the subject.
"Well if you aren't going to tell me what's going on with you I guess it's my turn. It's Billy" I say.
"Oh?"
"I don't know what's wrong with me Chrissy. I never even thought that I'd be tangled up with him, but now look at me."
"Yeah look at you. You were the first choice of the most adored guy in Hawkins High. You must be pretty special" she says.
"First choice", I say rolling my eyes, "I just happened to be outside. I was an easy target."
"He flirted with you for days Sam. There were plenty of other girls around and he still wanted you."
"He doesn't anymore."
"And how would you know?" Chrissy asked amused.
"There are always other bitches in the sea" I say mocking Billy's voice.
"What?" Chrissy asks.
"I overheard Billy and Tommy H. bullying that Steve Harrington dude and Billy said that" I say.
"He was just trying to get in Steve's head. You're not a bitch."
"Really? Because it sure seems like he's just fishing away. He was with another girl the day after the party. I took the bait. I'm a bitch in the sea to him" I say.
We both fall silent for a bit.
"I think that you need to find a new love interest" Chrissy pipes in.
"Oh yeah? Like who?" I ask falling backwards onto her bed.
"Well you seem to be into the bad boys so what about that rock dude in your government class?"
"That guy?", I ask giggling, "I heard he's not even gonna graduate."
"So what he plays guitar that's kinda hot."
"A guy good with his hands is kinda hot, but I don't see it. I mean he carries a metal lunch box around everywhere and plays board games in the theater room."
Chrissy and I break into a laughing fit.