46 | cinema and a sex shop

once more, you open the door

and you're here in my heart

my heart will go on - celine dion (1997)

A/N: I know it's 2022, but 'Titanic' spoilers ahead

July 17th, 1998

Twenty minutes.

Based on Harry's text, he should be back home in twenty minutes from dinner with his family.

And I am a fucking mess.

I've been waiting out on the porch step ever since he left,  running scenarios through my head about how he might react when I ask him out on this date and every possible witty response I could throw back at him if he tries to tease me.

I'm shaky. I'm nauseous. I'm close to chickening out, but the whole fucking house knows about my plans for tonight, so it's too late to back out now.

"Oh, fuck. Here he comes." Keegan mutters nervously from his spot next to me.

My head snaps up to the end of the driveway, but it's Connor's car that turns in at the end, not Harry's.

I smack his arm lightly. "Don't do that!"

He rubs his arm and pouts at me. "Ow! What? I've been freaking the fuck out."

"I'm freaking the fuck out! Why are you freaking the fuck out?"

Keegan glances nervously at Connor's car as it comes to a stop and he swallows before whispering to me. "I don't think he's noticed the dent."

"The what?"

"The dent. In the garage door."

I squint at him. "What are you talking about?"

"We threw that fucking trampoline into the garage door and it left a dent!" He whispers harshly, glancing over his shoulder as Connor's car engine rumbles to a stop.

"Oh, I forgot about that." I scoff and lean forward to try to get a better look, but Keegan pulls me back by my shoulder and gives me crazy eyes.

"Don't draw attention to it!"

"Jesus, you're seriously stressed about this." I say, taking in his panicked expression fully.

"Well yeah, I don't want Connor to be mad." He glances back again as Connor steps out of his car, his keys swinging from his index finger.

I roll my eyes. "If you're that worried, just tell him while he's in this good mood. God forbid he notices that dent when he's...you know, not."

Keegan takes a quiet but deep breath and looks back again, thinking about it while he chews on his lower lip.

"Hey." Connor nods casually toward us as he starts to walk up the front pathway.

"Hi." Keegan responds in an unusually loud volume and I jab him in his side to make sure he knows he sounds suspicious right now.