Chapter 19- The Battle

The morning of the battle was busy, very, very busy. Everyone was doing something. They were either putting on their armor, or helping get the weapons ready if they already had their armor on. Jim had made Valin a set of armor over the resting weeks last minute so he would have some.

I put on a black long sleeve shirt and black yoga pants first. Then I put on the chain mill, pulling it over my head, ears, and tail. After that came the iron armor with our group's crest in the middle that Jim made for me. There was a hole in the pants and part of my chest piece for my tail. I didn't put on my helmet yet, I didn't need it. I wore thin black gloves under chain mill ones on my hands with room for my claws. I also had long black socks on my feet under iron boots with holes for my claws.

I walked out of my room with my helmet tucked under my right arm and went to check on everyone else. They all had their armor on. The hybrids with wings had holes in the back for their wings while everyone else had similar armor to mine. They were saying goodbye to the people staying home, we had all eaten breakfast early. I couldn't blame them for saying goodbye. I said bye too. I took the longest saying goodbye to my mom.

"I don't want to leave you." I sobbed.

"I know. I don't want to leave you too. But we both know you have too." She cried, pulling me back. "Just remember that I love you. You are fighting for all of the people that didn't make the shift or the dragon hybrids killed. You can do this."

I smiled and kissed her check. "I love you." I sniffed.

"I love you too." She said back. I gave her one last hug before leaving the house to join the others.

Once outside, I mounted Ulysses. I did this because we all agreed that we would get to the base if I rode in on Hybrid-horse back than if I marched there. I glanced one last time at the house. It had served as a home to all of us and now we are leaving it.

"Let's go." I said as I turned back to face forward. I grabbed onto the front of the saddle and we rode off.

Once we had crossed the river, the hybrids with wings that have not been assigned to a group stayed at the bottom of the hill while the rest of us climbed the hill up. I had dismounted Ulysses and was walking at the front of the group next to Chase. Once we got close to the top, the two groups split up, mine going to the right and Chase's to the left. Chase headed to the back of the castle and I headed to the front.

"I'm glad I am fighting next to you today." Karly whispered. She was marching next to me.

"I am too." I responded.

"If this is our last battle together, I just want to let you know that I am glad we had both changed into hybrids." Karly said.

"Me too." I agreed.

We were then silent as we neared the gate, where I put on my helmet. Cali and Lilly took out the guards at the top of the wall with their bows and arrows and Blizzard took out the guards. Everything went silent.

"Charge!" I yowled.

At that, the battle started. My group rushed in the front gate and Chase's group rushed in the back. I didn't hear it, but I knew the areal group had taken flight and was helping us fight.

I fought my way through the battle, heading right for Shuvirth. I wasn't even half way through before I was tackled. I landed on my back, pinned to the ground by a white dragon with green eyes. I could tell it was a girl. I clawed at her as she tried to tear apart my armor.

I managed to get my legs on my chest and to fling the hybrid off of me. She went flying into the battle. I got up and headed for where she landed. Before I got to her though, I heard another dragon hybrid coming to me. I ducked and saw the hybrid sail over my head.