Chapter 9

Finding out that Garrett ordered the keg during the party in Lydia's lake house definitely shook everyone. He is currently the main suspect of being the assassin who murdered DeMarco, so now we're all keeping our eyes on him. But then I think: it's Garrett... who would suspect that an airhead like him would be a killer?

After Liam had told us that Garrett had done it, he goes to change and dry off, so we leave him in the locker room. Scott, Stiles, and I instead exit the entire locker area wait outside. By now, the Devonford Prep school bus had left and those students have gone elsewhere. Students from here though are seen everywhere, going back and forth.

"Riles, we're gonna meet up with Kira now," Scott announces, looking up from his phone. "Is it okay if we go first?"

"Of course."

"Sorry," my cousin apologizes quickly. "But we'll see you later!" Before he even finishes his last sentence, he and Stiles run off to who knows where. I don't mind because it's not like I have to be with them every single time, so I shrug it off, deciding to kill time by playing games on my phone.

I have only about ten minutes of playing Piano Tiles when I feel two sudden hands on my shoulders, taking me by surprise. Because of that, I hit the wrong tile in the game, making me lose my chances of beating my high score. I whip around and come face to face with the one and only.

"Liam Dunbar!" I glare at the boy.

"Yes, Riley Bales?" he says back with a smug grin.

"I was so close to beating my high score," I grumble.

"Ooh, is that Piano Tiles?" he notices, now taking the seat on my right.

"Yeah, and you made me press the wrong tile," I complain, hitting him lightly on his shoulder.

"Ouch." I raise an eyebrow at him, knowing that that couldn't have hurt. "Okay, not ouch, but still."

For the remainder of the time before night comes, Liam and I stay in that same spot, talking about irrelevant things that don't involve any supernatural things, so I guess it is quite a change from the past few days. It's plain but interesting and very chill, so I enjoyed just simply sitting there, actually.

It's only been a few days and I'm already getting pretty tired from all the commotion.

Late in the afternoon, when the time for the scrimmage comes closer, Liam and I decide to get up and walk already.

"I still can't believe Garrett's the one who ordered the keg," I start again with my brows furrowed.

"I don't know for sure if he's the one who killed DeMarco, of course," Liam cuts in, looking deep in thought.

"True. But Scott is being extra attentive tonight at the scrimmage." I look over at Liam as we walk down the halls, only to see him tense up at the mention of the scrimmage. "You alright?"

"Yeah," he replies nonchalantly. "Just a bit anxious at the fact that my teammate could potentially be a killer and I'm playing against the school I got kicked out of not too long ago."

Despite the reality of that statement, I laugh. I can't help but do so since the way Liam said that sentence was simply sarcastic. I stop short, though, thinking that I might sound insensitive, but oddly enough, Liam joins in the laughter with me.

"Sorry. That was mean of me to laugh," I finally say, still giggling slightly.

"It's fine," Liam chuckles at me. "Look, I've got to get down to the locker rooms now. I'll meet you later before the game?"

"Yep," I confirm, popping the 'p'. Soon, Liam leaves me in the empty school corridor to get ready. I stand there for a while, unmoving and not knowing where I should go next.