Chapter 23

"Go, Brett, go!"

"Go Liam!" Mason and I yell louder, both of us waving the sign on the air before the game even resumes.

Finally, the referee drops the ball on the ground and Liam amazingly picks it up. The crowd shouts excitedly already at that. Liam hurries towards the goal, careful not to get bumped or to stumble. Unfortunately, right before he can make it halfway to his goal in the other side of the field, a player from Devonford Prep hits Liam's lacrosse stick with his own, knocking the ball out.

"Damn," I mutter.

"That was so close," Mason adds, slapping his knee.

The game continues. That player passes the ball to another guy from his school and they proceed to running towards the goal on the opposite end of the field. Liam is still on that side and ready to take the ball back. Or so I thought.

He's standing there with his stick at the ready, but he's not moving.

"Wait, what's happening?" Mason says in confusion, staring at his friend.

"Liam!" Coach Finstock shouts, noticing this as well and catching the boy's attention. "For the love of God, move!"

Liam shakes his head as if trying to clear his mind just as the players dash past him. He spins on his heel and watches them run away. There's no way he can catch up with them now just to steal the ball back. Now, Brett is incredibly close to the goal and swings his stick, successfully shooting and earning another point for his team.

"Come on, Liam," Mason says repetitively as the next round begins with Liam expertly scooping the ball up first again before the other player does. I bounce in my seat as Liam rushes to his goal yet again and I pray that this time, he'll shoot. Based on from what I've seen in tryouts which was a long time ago and together with his powers, it isn't like him to keep missing.

Just when Liam has been dodging and evading the other lacrosse players in the field to get to the goal, Brett appears in front of him and roughly blocks him. With his height and the fact that he's a werewolf, too, I don't think it was a problem. Liam should be fine, but nevertheless, my jaw drops and my eyes widen at that.

A whistle blows again. Liam rips his helmet off at the same time Brett does. Still on the ground, I hear Liam ask, "What the hell did you do that for?"

Unfortunately, Brett is speaking back at Liam too low for me to hear.

"What's he saying?" I curiously ask Mason as Brett continues talking. "I can't hear him."

"I can't hear either, but wow, he's even more attractive than in the scrimmage," Mason replies, a smirk on his face as he stares at Brett. The two of them keep on talking in the field until the referee jogs over to them. He's probably telling Brett off because of that stunt he pulled, but it seems like no harm is really done since Liam gets up and Brett walks the other way, putting his helmet back on.

→ → →

There's a feeling of disappointment in the air as the audience begins to lessen, filing out of the lacrosse field after the game had finished. Beacon Hills High School had lost to Devonford Prep.

Mason had congratulated Liam anyways after he went over the benches when the game ended. After that, he left to head home but I stayed behind. Malia hasn't seen Scott or Kira and Stiles isn't back. He completely ditched the whole game, but I'm more worried about my cousin and his girlfriend.

When the bleachers are almost completely emptied, I come down and decide to head to the boys' locker rooms. Since Beacon Hills High School lost, I'm sure most of the team has left already. Liam should be gone, but considering he knew I'd be waiting here and that he must still be wondering where his Alpha is, I'm guessing he's still in there.