Chapter 5

The next day, Thursday, is the lacrosse tryouts. Today will be interesting because of that and that the cheerleading team will be announced today and posted on a bulletin board somewhere inside the school itself and also somewhere out in the field.

Before I leave the house with my dad this time, my mom reminds me that they'll both be out late and they still don't trust me to be alone in the house, so she called Aunt Melissa; in short, I'll be staying at the McCalls tonight.

In school, during my free period, Mason informed me that they would be practicing during that time, so I guess I'd be seeing Scott and Stiles there, too.

I immediately head to the lacrosse field and sit alone on the bleachers, somewhere in the middle for a good view. I decide to do my homework while waiting and watching to not waste time.

It takes me a while to realize that Garrett and Liam are in the middle of the field. Garrett steps a number of steps away from the goal, numerous balls scattered on his feet and his lacrosse stick in hand; another guy in a ponytail is next to him, all set as well. Liam looks at the people in the bleachers and smirks before covering his face with the helmet and positioning himself in front of the goal, his own lacrosse stick with him as well. I bite my lip as I prepare for what he's going to do.

With no warning, Garrett starts picking up the balls and directing the, all to Liam.

I tense up when I see what is happening, and then I relax and my jaw just drops in amazement at Liam. He catches every single ball with ease, jumping, hitting, moving side to side, and he is just simply amazing.

For a split second, I glance at the side and see my cousin and his best friend and am only mildly surprised to see them watch Liam in awe as well.

"Hey Scott, Stiles," I call over at them. They must be too busy watching Liam for they ignore me; it couldn't be that they simply couldn't hear me because I am almost literally right next to them.

"Who the hell is that?" Stiles asks Scott in disbelief. I don't even bother to tell them his name- they might not pay attention anyways, and I want to see them find out on their own.

Liam then grins proudly at something Garrett says then hits his lacrosse stick with the other guy's.

"Maybe we should just practice a little bit," Stiles says, already on the move. When he and Scott passes by me, he finally takes notice that I am here, too. "Oh, hey, Riley."

"Didn't see you there," Scott adds distractedly, patting my shoulder before following a determined Stiles.

→ → →

"Hey, Liam," I call the boy who's exiting the locker room. He had on this thinking face so I ask, "Something wrong?"

"No," he starts, still looking at the ground in thought as we walk back to the school. "Just had a very unusual encounter."

"Unusual? How?"

"Two older guys, I think juniors, started asking me all these weird questions about how I was able to play like that a while ago."

"You mean play good?" I clarify with a smile.

"If you say so," says Liam, looking at me cheekily. "But yeah, they were sorta strange, especially one of them because he asked me if I just suddenly got these skills overnight. I said that my step-dad taught me. Then I ended up trying to intimidate them," he admits.

"I guess if they were that strange, you gotta defend yourself somehow," I tell him.

"I might have just gotten a rival," he says. "Or two."