Chapter 4

Today, I have decided to walk to a farther bus stop as my early morning workout; my tryouts are today and though it's still after classes, I'm already pumped. Walking would be a great way to clear my head, and though I may be a lazy person at times, exercising is an exception, especially now that I can feel the adrenaline in my veins despite the fact that I'm going to be needing it much later in the afternoon.

"Mom, Dad, I'm leaving!" I announce.

"Be safe!" Mom yells faintly from up the stairs. I don't reply anymore, adjusting my black leggings a bit further. I sling my bag over my bare arms since I'm wearing a safe and comfortable tank top today, appropriate for a walk and school at the same time— since it's early, I suppose I'll get the chance to get changed into a fresh new shirt later on. Lastly, I tie my shoelaces firmly and tighten my ponytail and I'm finally ready to leave.

I swing open my front door, making sure it is locked before I continue on my way. Though I've done this a few times before, this is a new town, and I always have to be careful, so I don't put on my earphones on and play music. It might cause me to be distracted. Instead, I watch my surroundings more carefully.

It is quiet and peaceful, the sound of birds chirping the only thing being heard, except for a few cars passing by here and there. So when my name is called just a minute into my walk, houses away already from my own, I am genuinely scared.

"Riley Bales!"

My heart feels like it stops and I jump in place. Whipping around, I see the culprit, grinning in amusement at me like he's always done in the short time that I've known him.

"God, Liam, it's like you enjoy scaring me!" I glare at the boy a few meters away from me. Even from a distance, I can see that smug look he usually has.

"It's actually very entertaining," he tells me, stopping next to me with his backpack slung over one shoulder. "Are you walking to the bust stop?"

"Yes," I say in an obvious tone.

"Which one?"

"Third one from here," I reply. "I'm going for a walk, if it wasn't clear."

Liam nods, beginning to move forward. "So am I."

"Unfortunately," I say jokingly, making him pause and face me.

"Do you not like being with all this?" He gestures cockily to himself, forcing me to look at his confirmed muscular body.

"Let me think— no."

"You want this."

"In your dreams," I hit him lightly on the arm when I pass by him.

"Well you're going to have to get used to me, neighbor," he emphasizes, catching up with me. He pats my head, causing me to gasp dramatically.

"Don't you dare mess up my ponytail," I tell him with a pointed look, smoothening the top down. "Fixing this thing is my arm workout already."

"Right," Liam says slowly, confused as to how that is possible. He then decides to change the subject, asking a simple, "You got any tryouts today?"

"Cheer," I reply. "There aren't any other teams besides that, basketball, lacrosse, and a few other that I don't even play. You?"