Chapter 22

I burst through the doors and hurry to catch up with Liam as he makes his way to the boys' locker room. I don't want to have to enter a room full of guys pumped up for the game take place here tonight, but I have no choice. A frown is etched on my face because of how worried I am.

"Liam! Hey, wait up," I finally reach him. Noticing my arrival, he turns to face me.

"Hey, Riley. Something wrong?"

"Yeah," I reply, now walking next to him. "I haven't heard from Scott since last night. He hasn't been replying today either."

On different note, I have decided to not overthink my actions from the other night when I kissed Liam's cheek. It's almost always used as a friendly gesture, so he might have thought of it that way because he seemed down the day. Maybe it's better that he thinks I kissed his cheek because I wanted to comfort him because I have finally admitted to myself that I may like him more than I thought, and he might not feel the same. For now, I'll ignore that whole incident and carry on with how we always are because that's how he's been acting lately.

Liam now nods in agreement, looking anxious. "I thought I was the only one who noticed. Plus, we're playing my old school again. And... and it's a full moon tomorrow." Now I understand why he seems nervous today. I only know now from him that he's going against Devonford Prep for the second time and together with that, the full moon is already tomorrow and he must be afraid about not knowing how to control himself yet. "Do... do you think something's wrong?"

I am then about to answer Liam's question even though I'm not completely confident, but I spot Stiles entering the locker room that Liam is heading to as well. Instead, I tap Liam and point to my cousin's best friend a few feet away from us.

"Stiles!" I call out.

He faces our direction. "Yeah?"

"Have you heard from Scott lately?" asks Liam. Unfortunately, Stiles begins walking again and swings open the door with Liam right behind him. I sigh and reluctantly follow the two boys inside the locker room to know what's happening.

"Please tell me you've heard from him," I add upon stepping inside.

Stiles has a very calm expression on his face as he glances at us two again. "Everything's fine. I got a text from him this morning. He said he might be a little late."

I furrow my eyebrows. "Wasn't he on a date with Kira last night? After he and I went to see Argent for a while?"

Stiles, who no doubt knows all of this already, nods at me. "Yes. They'll both be late."

"Well, how late is late? Is he always late? We're playing Devonford Prep again and this time it's an actual game. He shouldn't be late."

Ignoring Liam's jumpiness, Coach Finstock joins in the conversation. "Who shouldn't be late?" he questions us with a frown.

Liam sighs. The three of us share a look, unsure of how to answer the coach.

"Scott..." Liam finally answers.

"And Kira," I say much to Finstock's disappointment.

"They might be slightly late," Stiles tries to explain.

"Slightly late is still late," Finsotck says. "What are they doing?"

An awkward silence comes over us. Stiles answers, and I have a strange feeling that his reply won't satisfy his coach.

"They're doing something that's going to make them slightly late," says Stiles, improvising. I can't help but roll my eyes and shake my head at that.