Chapter 24

The next day, I wake up feeling worried. Scott is still in Mexico with Kira, kidnapped and stuck there. It's also a full moon, so Liam and Malia will probably have a hard time controlling themselves, too.

I get up right away and hurry to get dressed in leggings and a tank top. I then lace up my running shoes, tie my hair up, then trudge down the stairs to leave my house.

Upon jumping off the last step, I see that Stiles has texted me.

From: Stiles
At Scott's. Looking for clues
9:09 am

I quickly type back a reply as I head to my front door, then prepare a message for Liam as well.

To: Stiles
I'll be there in ten
9:15 am

To: Liam Dunbar
I'm going to Scott's. Stiles is there
9:16 am

"Where do you think you're going?"

I freeze. I had just pocketed my phone and was just about to place my hand on the doorknob but my mother's voice stops me. I whip around and see that she's standing in the living room, looking at me expectantly.

"Oh, uh..." I wrack my brain for a believable answer. "Scott hasn't been replying much lately so Stiles and I are going to check on him in his house."

"Is he alright?"

No. "Yes," I lie. "Don't worry, Mom."

"I can't help but worry, but at least you're getting closer to your cousin," she says thoughtfully. I resist the urge to roll my eyes at her being sentimental once again. "Do you need a ride there?"

"No, no, it's fine. But thanks," I tell her quickly, backtracking. "I'll go on a run on to way there."

"If you say so. Don't forget to eat breakfast after."

"Of course, Mom."

With that, she finally retreats back into the kitchen and I hurriedly open my front door and slam it shut because I'm in a rush. I swing my backpack over one shoulder and walk in a brisk pace, not actually running but wanting to get to Scott's house on time. My message alert makes me whip my phone back out of my my bag pocket and look at my new text.

From: Liam Dunbar
I'll catch up with you
9:20

Instinctively, I turn around to see if Liam is actually behind me. He's not, so I hurry up and continue walking quickly. Ever since he kissed me last night after the game- well, I did miss him back- things surprisingly haven't been awkward. I think we both enjoyed it very much, but we haven't discussed it yet. To be honest, I don't think we'll have the time to do so until Scott and Kira are found and everything is settled.

About five minutes later, I turn the corner and begin walking down the street where Scott's house is located. It's quiet in the morning with only a few cars passing by since it's the weekend, so naturally, the sound of footsteps behind me alert me immediately.

I spin on my heel and come almost face to face with Liam Dunbar. My heart pounds in surprise, but I soon calm down upon realizing that it's just him.

I groan and say, "You scared me. I thought you were a snatcher or something."

Liam manages to chuckle at me. "Sorry, I was trying to catch up with you."

We get back to walking as I speak again. "You weren't kidding," I say with a grin. "How are you so fast?"

"For one, I have these superhuman abilities. Secondly, I'm a guy. The stereotype that says all guys get ready fast is applied to me right now."

I raise my eyebrows at the boy next to me in amusement. From here, I can see that we are nearing Scott's house, so I walk faster. "Yeah, keep bragging about your powers."