Chapter 20

"Ah, first competition of our season is this week!" Lacey says excitedly.

"I can't wait either, but it won't be a big deal to everyone else," a teammate named Isabelle says while combing out her hair.

"Come on, Izzy, lighten up!" Lacey tells her, but you can tell that she knows what Isabelle said was true. "I just want to perform and do something fun."

"Wasn't that bonfire fun enough for you?" I joke to my blonde friend.

"It was alright. Someone shut the music off for a while, though. What a let down."

I simply smile at her, knowing that that was all Mason's fault. He did it to help Scott, Liam, and Malia, though, so I don't blame him.

"And you didn't even join me in dancing," she adds accusingly.

"Ha ha," I laugh nervously. "About that... I kinda had to leave."

"I think I got that. I didn't see you at all after I left to go by the stage."

I send her an apologetic look as I slip on my sandals. "Sorry about that, Lacey."

She shrugs. "Oh well," she sighs while piling her things into her bag. "As long as you don't miss the completion this Saturday."

I laugh at her and shake my head. "That's different. It's gonna be a competition."

"Still."

I chuckle and don't respond anymore, following Lacey out of the girls' locker room in the gymnasium. We had just finished our practice, which isn't as fulfilling as I had hoped, and now we are officially done with school for the day.

As we walk through the campus, we simply talk about the bonfire. Like I had thought, Lacey is wild in a way. She's not bad or indecent or anything, but she really likes to have a lot of fun. I find her stories very enjoyable, though, so I just laugh and make some comments here and there.

When we arrive at the back parking lot of the school, we have to separate. I'm on my way to the from entrance and we always pass by here after every practice.

"Bye, Riley! See you tomorrow!" she waves back at me as she walks to a black car. Lucky for her, she can already drive and is sixteen already. I haven't even turned sixteen yet. What a bummer.

"Will you be watching the game tomorrow night?" I quickly ask.

She stops opening the car door and looks as if she's thinking about it. "Maybe," she replies after a moment. "I don't know, after last time's unfortunate ending, I'm still not sure. I'll text you."

"Sure." I smile, already backtracking. She gives me one last wave before stepping into the car and I spin on my heel, heading to the front of the school.

When walking down the halls, I spot Mason. He's wearing a muscle t-shirt and some shorts, so he must've been working out with Liam in the small gym we have here at school.

"Oh, hey Mason," I grin at my friend.

He smiles back, but he looks miffed about something I don't know. "Hi."

"What's with the long face?" I attempt to brighten up the mood.

The corner of his mouth twitches at my words, then he replies, "I don't know, I'm just kind of annoyed with Liam."

The mention of Liam makes me blush. We haven't spoken much today except during class and we only did small talk. The topic of that simple kiss on the cheek never came up, and it was quite awkward during the day. Fortunately, I had most of my classes either alone or with Lacey and Stella, and considering I just came from cheerleading practice, I haven't seen either Mason or Liam much the whole day until now.