piece 6

When it finally came down to everyone being ready to go,  they decided on getting food before going to the ally. When Texas started up his truck, California, Oregon and Idaho all headed out. Surprisingly Alaska just hopped in the truck bed, to which texas squinted through the reserves, sighing. This is why they get ready early. Dumb shit.
     Texas got out and went to the shed, grabbing a seat input to set in the back so Alaska wasn't just back there. "Oh little buddy I'll be fine, don't tell me you've gone softy?" Alaska asked while standing and texting, recieving a role of the eyes from texas as texas set the seat in sideways before hopping up.
    "Don't flatter yourself," texas said while putting the seat in place along with a second one on the oposite side so it didn't look dumb. He then smacked both seats into place before crouching down to get the lock set in place, "I'm not worried bout you. I'm worried about the ticket, California's a bit less leanient." Texas stated, seeing California peak his head out.
    Alaska laughed, sitting down in the seat calmly as texas hopped out the bed, "thanks for caring so much, little buddy! You know you'd hate seeing me get hurt."
   "Yeah 'Lask! The hospital bill would suck!" Texas joked, hopping in the driver seat again, watching the rear view to see Alaska buckle in the seat before texas actually put the keys in the ignition again. Oregon and Idaho were in the actual back seat talking while California road shot-... passenger. He sat in the passenger seat.
  "were you trying to get my attention?" Cali asked and texas shook his head.
   "No,  sorry we were talkin about laws," said calmly, waiting to see New York's van leave the driveway before he followed.
   California gave a nod and looked forward,  seaming to be thinking as he sat next to the other,  "Am I allowed to turn on music or is it true about not touching the radio when you're driving?" This made the other state laugh.
    "Sometimes,  it really just depends but you're good. There's an aux chord in the  glove box. " Texas watched California nod,  grabbing out the cord and seaming to get excited about something but texas was more focused on driving and didn't notice exactly what it was he saw. They overall decided not to think about it to much.
     "So do you know how far this restaurant is?" Texas asked this calmly,  as he watched New Yorks car, copying the indicators New York would do. He glanced in the rear view watching Florida car behind him, seeing Florida had let loui drive as he was trying to bother Alaska. Texas hummed as he saw Alaska look forward and shake his head at texas
    "Oh well it's only about 30 minute drive now, and that way the bowling ally is about 10 minutes from there." Texas nodded as a way to show he listened. Louisiana honked at texas and texas got a sort of look that showed he was ready to play this game. Alaska looked through the window with a look that said no but... texas just did a little break check. And his God was it hilarious. Texas saw loui panic as he mocked hitting the breaks. Texas smiled knowingly as he just continued on, of course they'd used his mirrors to make sure no there wasn't a car behind Louis and he'd waited for no oncoming traffic. "What the fuck was that?" Texas glanced at cali who was holding Texas arm. Shit.
    At least oregon and Idaho weren't freaked out. "Well.. that's what you would call a break check..?" Texas spoke slowly, glancing consistently at a now unamused California. "Come on, I made sure it was safe and loui's driving, not Florida." Cali starred at texas and sighed.
     Cali looked back and gave a hum, "well, while I could talk about how unsafe that still was, looks like Alaska will handle that later. And loui honked at us so..." texas chuckled when cali reasoned with him and not against him. He did feel bad for startling cali tho.
      "I'll get you a drink for startlin' ya," and California looked amused. Texas heard a song skip and some grumbling from next to him, "what was that?" Texas questioned, bringing on a new topic.
    California groaned, a ad popping up since he skipped the song, "well its the artist, I apparently haven't cleared their songs from this Playlist but I don't want to support their music since-" and so cali went on talking about fraud of some kind. Texas just nodded and listened, letting the other state ramble on about this, they found it cute anyway, wait, no he doesn't he doesn't he doesn't.
    Texas focused a bit on the road but he did listen do cali's ranting about the person on subject. Suddenly his phone rang and texas held it out to cali, "can you grab this since im.. drivin'?" To which cali was already grabbing the phone and connecting it instead of his own phone.
    "Hey texas I was wanting to ask you how transi-" texas eyes widened a friend of his was calling.
     "DRIVING, SPEAKER PHone Sonora," texas had yelled but quickly lowered his voice saying as A, he was on speaker phone and B, he had to turn his head toward California some and he didn't want to yell his direction.
    "Oh shoot, sorry my friend, the building of your transmition." Texas blinked at that save, which texas supposed might work in a way?
    "I haven't been working on it saying as I'm in the "State House" now, not back home." He said calmly, hearing a scoff from the Mexican state.
    "And here I was figuring I'd drop a visit, now I have to turn around," texas thought off of this, looking at the time. 7:40. That meant almost 10 in texas.
   "It's late, Sonora, you usually don't drop by late in the day, if you need somewhere you're welcomed to my house you know that, it's not like I sold it or anythin' and you have the key. Go there if you need to but 9 o'clock in that neighborhood isn't a joke. Much less 10."
    Sonora groaned at Texas words, yet knew the other made a point. "Says you, 'I'm driving on speaker phone,' but thank you, I'll fill you in later when we talk private, but I appreciate it."
    Texas rolled his eyes with a smile, "It's no problem, Sonor, I'll call in the morning." With that they exchanged goodbyes and California hung up when the time was there. Texas glanced to California calmly, "you can turn back on your music, and that's sonora, it's the Mexican state that's bordering Arizona and New Mexico..." texas spoke more quiet, like he was primarily talking to cali and explaining non to oregon or Idaho. Which, to be fair, they were already back into their own conversation.
   California nodded, putting the auxiliary cord back in his phone. "Cool- I didn't know you sill talked to the Mexican states," California answered honestly, turning his music back on.
    Texas nodded in understanding, "well I mean, I don't talk to most of em, most of em hate me really which, I'd be lyin' if I said it wasn't mutual but me and Sonora always got along, they're nice and we've known each other a long time." Texas explained, to which California understood, not wanting to ask questions in the case of if Texas wasn't comfortable with it.
     Texas could practically see Cali's questions flying through his head and texas chuckled, shaking his head, "you can keep talking about fraud guy, or, ask me questions. You will need to catch me up or fraud guy tho I'd you go for the ladder because I'm just barely invested." California giggled.
    "Ok, just a few- how long have you known them?" Cali caught texas using they/them pronouns and decided to just replicate the usage.
     "Well, since 1830 I suppose when Sonora officially was a Mexican state after the Mexican independence from spain.. oh and we just stayed in contact after 1836 when I got my own independence but we really got back in touch after 1845 when I was annexed as a state," Texas explained, giving the smallest amount of history that he could.
     Cali smiled, loving to hear texas talk about the good side of their history, "Ok, you said you knew em well enough to have a key to your personal house tho?" Cali gave some suggestive implication, mainly joking.
      "Cal.. Sonora has seen me at my worst and best and I can say I don't think anyone ever should see me at either of those points. Although, I have also seen them in the same positions. Really we're practically siblings, just cooler because we're less awkward than siblings. Not to mention whenever Sonora has business in the states they would just crash at my place to save on money," he faked a cough, "hotels are expensive," he faked another, "and in general unsafe." Texas explained, waving his hand for California to ask another question.
   "Oh, and you were building a transmition..?" Cali asked; knowing all to well that had to be a cover up for something or anote due to the fast pace panicked texas had when the conversation started.
     "Back in texas,  I worked a lot on a few cars there and had to take a part and put back together a transmission once and I started another from scratch, " the line flew off texas tongue, sort of disgusting himself with how his they did that. 
     Cali nodded being intrigued then smiled,  "alright;  I can't think of anything more so wanna hear more about mister fruad?"
   "Yes,  please I've been waiting. " Texas smiled as cali quickly back into his heated rambling, to which texas listened to without a second thought,  still fallowing new york.
     Finally when they were about 10 minutes away from the restaurant, California finished and texas was disgusted. "I think I missed a chapter through that and even still I think that's scandalous." Texas said while they were sick at a red-light, glancing in the rearview and seeing both Florida and loui flipping off the car along with Alaska recording toward their car.
    Texas shook his head and went forward at green while cali continued,  "I know! And the court case is still ongoing. " He said with annoyance before looking to texas, "do you fallow court cases?" He asked a bit out of the blue. Hah,  blue, blue and red state,  funny.
    "Somewhat but they gotta be a bit popular because it's updating to be the only one in on a joke against some people online," he watched cali's jaw drop and he rose a brow, "it's that.. bad?"
    California laughed some,  shaking his head,  "no,  but you just defined being upset when a your in the small area of a Fandom. Much less if the Fandom isn't seen well" 4th wall break lol.
    Texas nodded slowly,  giving a shrug,  "I mean,  to be honest that matches the energy or like, vibe of reading books.."
    He was cut off, "OH MY GOD YOU JUST USED ENERGY AND VIBE IN A SENTENCE, SOCAL IS RUBBING OFF ON YOU." California practically screamed, seeing texas go a bit red as he starred at the car upfront of him, trying to focus.
    Damnit it's you rubbing off on me, Texas thought. He glanced at rearview, seeing texas laughing, either at his phone or texas, he didn't realize you could hear so much from the bed..  "Quiet, I'd never let a place rub off on me, I barely even leave the house." Texas said with a huff, looking forward, yet knowing cali gave him a look.
    "Sure, and oh hey, what's that flag over there?" Cali asked, pointing as texas barely gave a short glance.
   "Easy, that one represents polys-" texas stopped and slowly glanced, "your rude, ya know that?" California burst out laughing, and texas rolles their eyes as they got toward the parking center, which texas had never used before, seeing cars loads of floors up to which his eyes widened, "the shit is that thing?"
   California was slowly chuckling then looked where they were currently pulling in, "oh its a parking center, the restaurant is right there but since we're walking to the bowling ally we're parking here and just hoping we don't have to go to the top. You can't reserve you kinda just come, get a spot, pay it then go where you need." Texas looked at cali like he was insane.
    Texas gulped slowly before speaking, "do you guys want to get out down here while I find a parking place?" Cali gave a hum then looked back.
    After getting a nod from Oregon cali spoke, "sure, we'll wait at entrance, just make sure you remember the letter and number so we all know where to head when we leave." With that the 3 other states got out, he looked back at Alaska but the other swung his hand in reference for Texas to just keep driving so texas did.
    Texas head sped as he went to get a spot, finally ending up on the 5th floor and having to go to the edge where from the front seat there was a grand view of California shopping buildings... the grand fucking highest spot ever.
    Texas sat there heart racing for a minute after he parked before he got out, and when he did get our he was met by a force behind him, making him yell a curse as he only jumped towards the source from the edge. "That's for the break check!.. Little buddy are you good? Alaska asked as texas moved back further from the edge.
    "Fine, im fine, let's just pay and go down.." texas swallowed,  but he saw Alaska was still worried, "what..?"
   Alaska's eyes narrowed some, less in anger or accusation like most would take but more reassuringly in a way. Which, was weirdly comforting, "when we come retrieve the car I'll drive it down." He stated, blocking the view as texas paid for the spit for until 12 before they both started walking down, "and next time, before you put yourself in a situation you know your uncomfortable with, instead of secluding yourself, get someone else to take over." Alaska threw an arm calmly over texas shoulder, who grumbled a response of understanding. He took a picture of the spot before they left the lot tho, knowing he wasn't going to remember E 274.
    Texas sighed on the way down, speaking more calmly when they left the high floor, sorry for the break check, kinda forgot what it's like in the truck bed," texas admitted while Alaska chuckled, "it was your choice to be back there tho."
    Alaska shook his head, "anything better than hearing oregon and Idaho banter. It's sweet and all but really." That got a laugh from texas.
   "You know it's hot here, you're gonna regret your snow gear.. if I wore your hat everyday Austin would be appearin' more."
   "Well, if it gets to warm, which I doubt, I'll let you know and we can trade hats." Alaska stated, recieving a hum from texas.
    "I'd have to be drunk as shit before I'd actually trade my hat for over 10 minutes tops. " Texas said calmly, to which Alaska just nodded, either just with acknowledgement or with challenge..... texas didnt question it. When they got down there they saw new york and the rest from his car reaching cali, OR and ID only just before him and Alaska did. They than all started twisted the restaurant, seeing the gator twins, Georgia and tennessee just parked there.
     "Please tell them they're going to get a ticket parking here the whole time? " Tennessee asked, referencing Florida and loui.
    New york liked at them and shrugged,  "their problem, not mine."
    With this everyone entered,  getting a few tables instead of the large one which was placed in the corner. From there everyone ordered food and the chaos ensued. "I assure you I will get a date first," Georgia stated, rivaling Tennessee now.
    "What makes you so sure? " Tennessee challenged.
    Georgia smirked and leaned back in his chair, "even if it's unlikely I will, it's unseeable you ever would. " Georgia finished strong, getting Tennessee's has to drop.
    "And what would you love birds like to start off with for drinks? " Cali and texas both burst into laughter as the waitress asked them that,  Tennessee about falling out his chair in internal homophobia while Georgia just asked for water under his breath.
    Moments later,  laughing ensued again when they saw Florida pay off the waitress. So great.
    "Hey cali,  how do you bowl..?" Texas asked now, seeing cali think on this.
   "Well... decently,  I haven't got awhile but I was pretty good the last time,  why?" Cali smiled just on the borderline of smirking,  to which texas slowly leaned back.
    "How about a classic bet, one of sport that isn't getting dates," cali said calmly,  referencing what just happened.
     "Cali, I don't bet unless I drink,  and if you're designated driver, you don't drink, so hard pass. " Texas said calmly, looking to the menu.
    California groaned,  grabbing his own menu,  "get oregon or Alaska to drive, "cali offered the idea, to which texas shook his head.
   "They probably want to drink and I know Alaska always stays in so I want him to have fun at least, " texas voice was lower now,  not wanting the states to hear him.
    Cali set down his menu and went on his phone,  waiting a few minutes before speaking smuggly, "Oregon said he'd drive so long as he got to have two drinks here. " California said calmly,  to which texas sighed, "so,  at the bowling ally we match round for round then?"
    Texas nodded but lowered his menu slightly,  "sure.. but,  what does winner get? Loser pay tab set up or something else?"
   California seamed to think,  but a waiter came and took their orders first before he got to speak.  Once they ordered and their menus were taken away, California looked forward at texas.  "How about a favor.  We can split tab since ally drinking is super expensive,  and of course the favor can be rejected if it's discomforting,  but like, the winner gets to call on a favor or task to be done. "
Texas thought before putting out his hand,  "sounds fun,  deal... just one thing tho, don't let alaska take my hat if you can, long story."
    With that cali gave a nod and shook texas hand,  this would be fun.  Texas want the best at bowling,  and cali wasn't the strongest at drinking,  but when it came down to it,  each did one part well,  so the challenge was semi equal. As they got the food, everything seamed to be going fine for now. 
    Soon enough texas left to use the bathroom to calm down,  tho he sorta just leaned against the wall in the hall where the rest room doors were. They still discomforted him, oddly enough. He kinda just stood there. It made them feel comfortable to leave everything for a minute.
      He looked down and tapped his foot for a few Minutes before turning to leave the hall,  immediately taking in the sight of a lady flirting with cali. Saying as he and cali shared a table,  texas sorta just watched, not wanting to pester incase it was wanted, but when cali looked his way something clicked and cali started pointing over at him.
    Texas made his way over catching the end of cali's sentence.
    "See, I'm taken by my significant other here,  otherwise I would totally give you my number... yeah.."
    Texas was thrown off for a second,  but chilled out when the lady looked at him, she sorta threatened their existence in a way... texas walked around the table,  laying his arms over California in a protective but casual pose, "sorry I was gone longer than expected darlin', did ya meet someone?" Texas stood up and looked at the lady up and down.
     She sighed and walked away,  yet as soon as she was out of hearing range, texas was a blushed mess, quickly taking his arms off cali and apologizing quietly as he sat in his seat yet cali just had a look of relief still, "I'm sorry I uh, are you okay?" Texas questioned quietly, mostly in hope other states weren't posting attention.
    "How did you improv that?! That was great," cali spoke quickly with a small smile as he looked at texas,  "also thanks.. she was really something."cali said, recalling her words with a slightly disgusted look.
   Texas slowly nodded, "is that common here?" Texas asked slowly,  seeing cali shake his head no, which sorta relieved texas. "If you're uncomfortable from that we don't have to go through with that bet-"
    Cali smirked,  "and miss you getting beat by me? Drunk? No chance 'Darlin' that's happening. " Texas blushed as cali mocked his slight accent and tone, to which he covered his face.
     "I'm regretting each moment of not just watching that conversation plate out..  kinda," texas had to admit he was happy he got back but God damn did cali tease a royal [new york word] ton.
      "Something tells me you don't regret it, maybe the walk around the table grab, but I'm no expert." Cali stated, leaning back and watching texas and his confidence crumble in front of him more and more.
     "... significant other..." texas muttered, looking back at cali, "why didnt you just say boyfriend or somethin?" He inquired, a little confused.
    Cali hummed, shrugging, "well you also go with they, them pronouns so I didn't want to.. dead gender(?) You?" California seamed to question his own wording as he spoke with texas.
    Texas nodded while noting how sweet that was, "nice.. thanks cali." He said shortly, seeing as their food came and he thanked the waiter.
    Cali gave a thanks as well before looking at texas again, "seriously tho Tex, you were quick on improv, I mean, Hella quick." He said before taking a bite of his food.
    Texas shrugged, looking the direction the lady left, "I was just ready I guess, you gotta be on edge if Florida's 'round." His excuse was easy, but in the past he'd been on the other side of that situation, in cali's position mainly, only before he didn't pass and it was much weirder. He remembered wishing someone was there for the save, so now texas jumps in any chance he gets. If he gets male supremacy in any way now that he passes, might as well use it in some way of good.
   After a minute or so they sort of just both decided to eat their food and stop talking tho it was surprisingly nor awkward or anything, as they just were eating. After they finished and payed and Yada, they went over to a booth where some more were and just pulled over chairs. Texas phone binged and he looked down, seeing texas messaged him a picture if when his arms were over cali, and texas just looked up and death glared Alaska who snickered at the table.
    "So, what's all the plan everyone's got?" Tennessee questioned, to which most people shrugged.
    Oregon yawned as he looked out, "well I'm driving truck on the way back now since I'm stating sober tonight," he said calmly while finishing off the one alcoholic drink he ordered.
    Florida rolled his eyes, "who needs safe driving?" Everyone glared at him and he groaned. "Tennessee or georgia." He stated, looking at the two.
  Georgia raised his hand annoyed only slightly. "For us it'll be Mass or me," mass looked at new york with just slight surprise, saying he could drive back.
   "Alright Than, let's head out."