41

Hoseok is now standing infront of his parent's house. He had spent weeks living with Jimin. He also planned to celebrate New Years with him but his mother had texted him to spend the holidays with the family as one should be.

At first, he did not want to come at all. Hoseok had no reason to come back in the hole he crawled out from. Most importantly, he doesn't want to see his half family anymore. Mark was an abuser and Dawon hated him for his sexuality.

If not for his mother, he won't bother to even step foot near the neighborhood.

Hoseok brought food with him. He took a long breath and pressed the doorbell. He waited until he heard a small click from the other side of the gate. It opened and revealed his mother. His eyes opened wide because of what he witnessed

When was the last time he saw his mother well dressed and healthy? She always looked like dogs chewed the hell out of her. But what's this? His mother appears to be glowing. No more fresh cuts on her skin, no bruises, and her hair was back to being silky. She looked... Beautiful.

"Mom?" Hoseok asked, still in a daze

Mrs. Jung smiled, as if she saw it coming "Happy New Year! I missed you so much, my Hoseok" she said and pulled him to a tight hug

"How...?"

"Come in! You're probably freezing!"

They went inside the house. Hoseok still couldnt believe his eyes. His mother was smiling genuinely. She also put on a little weight.

The house looked better too. Everything was in place and there were new furnitures.

"Do you like it? I designed it myself" His mother boasted. She then points at the dining table "Place the food you brought there. I'll be right back" she said in a hurry and left

Hoseok snapped out of it and obeyed his mother. He walked around the area, doing a quick recon. The place was clean and bright. He wondered what happened in the past weeks.

Hobi heard someone clear his throat behind him. He turns around and sees the person he dreaded to meet

"You're back" Mark said

The father seems to be well too. Unlike his previous haggard looking appearance, he looked pleasant

Hoseok ignored him completely. He didn't reply nor look at him anymore and continued to scan the house. Why would he? For someone who caused him misery since the day he was born, that was a lot of nerve to strike a conversation with him.

Mark stood awkwardly in his spot. He expected this behavior and understood why. But it didn't stop him from wanting to warm up with his step son

"We bought that a few days ago" Mark said when Hoseok was eyeing the new smart tv "It was on sale so we bought it in a blink of sn eye"

Hoseok ignored him as if he was thin air

Hoseok sat down the new couch. He bounced up and down, testing its softness.

"Your mother kept complaining how dirty the couch was so I bought her a new one. This was also on sale" Mr. Jung boasted and sat adjacent to Hoseok. But as expected, his son didn't reply.

Whenever Hoseok sees something new, Mark was there to tell him the back story as if Hoseok was an art critique. And like every art critique, Hobi never bothered to listen nor reply. He kept looking at new furnitures with Mark in tow.

Not long after, Hoseok heard footsteps going downstairs. He saw his sister on the staircase

"Mom, have you seen my- " Dawon froze in her place when she saw his brother "Hope.."