Chapter 12

Chapter 12: Reunion and Death with a Former Party

“With my remaining magical power, I could open this door.”

To return to the surface, they must first return to the exit door from the secret area.

Lysette touches the door and pours magic into it, just as she did when she first entered. The door easily opens, letting in the scent of seawater.

“Ah…”

There is still some ice on the water’s surface, but most of it has melted and become part of the sea.

They also encountered a party of two, a male warrior and a healer woman, who were walking toward them on the water’s surface.

—They’re walking on the water’s surface!

Lysette is taken aback.

—What kind of magic is it? Is it a skill? Perhaps it’s a good thing you don’t have to walk on slick ice. But the ice would keep monsters at bay…

Curiosity smolders.

She’s about to ask them questions about magic when she notices the air is unusually tense.

“Hilde, Gunter…”

In the tense atmosphere, Leonhardt’s voice echoes softly.

—Does Leon-san know them?

—Ah, yes, I remember!

Two members of Leonhardt’s party who were with him at the Adventurers’ Guild. In other words, two of the people who deserted Leonhardt.

“Did you come here to look over the body? Or are you here to kill me?”

Leonhardt’s expression is a mix of disgust and resignation.

When asked, neither of them responds.

Only the sword and the staff, held with sadness and determination, provided an answer.

“I see.”

Leonhardt raised his sword and shield as if accepting everything.

“Hey…Hey, everyone, please calm down!”

Lysette dashed over to intervene. They weren’t beasts. They were people who could communicate with one another.

She can’t believe they’d settle it with violence, despite the fact that they were once friends.

However, neither of them laid down their weapons.

Point of contact.

The atmosphere is tense.

“Seriously! Flame-Burst!”

Under the water, fire-magic explodes.

A massive column of water rises and descends on the warrior and healer.

Water forms a veil over the area, obscuring vision.

“Freeze!”

Then she carved an ice path and grabbed Leon’s arm.

“Leon-san. This way!”

She escapes by pulling Leonhardt’s arm as the moisture in the air cools and a deep fog rolls in.

The ice behind them melts as they approach the stone passageway, and the path vanishes. They are listening intently, but there is no sign of a chase.

—I wish they would just quit.

“Lysette, who are you… and how do you have this much magical power?”

“It doesn’t matter. I understand your reasoning, but humans should not be fighting in the dungeon.”