Chapter 22

Chapter 22: The Thief Wants to Join the Party

After leaving Ghoul’s room, they take two food breaks before continuing their exploration.

They’ve already done a lot of exploring, but there’s still no way out of the third layer.

“This is a safe zone. It’s a good thing, too. Let’s take a break here.” says Leonhardt

Exploring the third layer, they discovered a room with three walls on three sides, where there were no signs of monsters.

On the right wall was a well pit from which clean water flowed at a rapid pace. The water collected in a basin below and flowed into a drain before disappearing.

There was also a fire pit and three large wooden platforms on which to sit or spread out a sleeping bag.

“What exactly is this room? It’s very well equipped.”

“It’s one of the safe zones of the dungeon—you can be sure there are no monsters here.”

Lysette wondered who on earth could have designed such a room.

Lysette had a strange feeling, but she thought it was okay for Leonhardt to say so.

“The dungeon is a strange place—I’m curious to know what this slab is…. [No Obstacles on the Path of Truth]?”

She read the words written on the sign on the front wall.

“Is it some kind of riddle?”

“There are many traps on the third layer, so it might have something to do with that.

“According to the text, the right way is the one without traps.”

“Most of the traps in the dungeon are cruel and nasty, and many of them are deadly. You should be careful.”

Leonhardt splashes water on his face.

“What kind of traps are there?”

“The tucking trap is a common type of trap—you are suspended with a rope tied around your legs or neck.”

Lysette was shocked. A leg or even a neck can kill you in an instant or slowly.

“Traps, spears and arrows often emerge from the floor, ceiling and walls. I was once trapped in a room when the ceiling collapsed and water poured in, nearly drowning me.”

“I’m surprised you’re still alive after all those deadly traps.”

“No, I died a few times… Not all traps and gimmicks can be disarmed, even by a thief or a locksmith.”

Leonhardt beams brightly. He looks like he’s talking about a good memory.

“However, if a thief is present, the traps can be disarmed more quickly. They are essential for exploring dungeons…”

“Hmm… I wish there was a thief somewhere.”

“…I wonder if we have no choice but to negotiate with another group and let them accompany us.”

“Negotiate…”

—Do we have any leverage in the negotiations? I hope the 300,000 gold I have is enough, but I don’t know what the market rate is for adventurers.

—The only other things I can offer are ingredients.

Leftover mimic and Kraken meat as well as potatoes, onions, flour, butter and cheese from the Church Knight frozen are stored.

“All right, this time we’ll make a stew.”

—Let’s have a meal first and then negotiate later if there is one.