part 4

Ralph had us start collecting fire to bring to the top of the hill. Some kids could barely fit three small logs in their hands, which other kids could fit about seven. I looked around for logs scattered along the grass, and was able to pick up about five.

      "Alright everyone, I want you all to carry your wood to the top of the hill! Follow after my lead." Ralph shouted at us.

      We started walking up the hill, and I guess I had absolutely no idea how much harder this would be than I thought.

      I could feel the sweat running off of my forehead, which made me quiver. "How much longer of this? I'm going to actually kill myself." I thought to myself in my head. While Ralph looked like he had been walking for one minute, I looked like I just ran a marathon.

      "This is some shit." Jack said out loud. He never said it directly to anybody, so I went over to him.

      "Yeah well, if we ever want a chance to get rescued maybe you should learn to live with this "shit." I scolded.

      "Nope. If I was chief, I wouldn't have people working like slaves to get some wood up to the top of a hill."

      "Get over it Jack, for the third time you aren't chief!" I laughed. This boy cannot get a grip on reality.

      "I know! I'm just saying if I WAS, I would do it better."

      "Too bad you aren't."

      "Yeah, too bad." He smirked.

      We ended up walking in silence for the rest of the way, but we were standing closer to each other than we were earlier. I just can't seem to understand him yet. I mean, when I first met him he was super annoying. And still is, not going to lie. But, he isn't as bad as I thought he was. I guess I just should learn not to judge a book by it's cover.

      When we FINALLY reached the top of the hill, all of us were exhausted by then. I dropped my logs on the ground, panting like a dog.

      Roger stepped over the logs I dropped, and punched me on my shoulder.

      "Is this man's work too hard for you?"

      Oh. He's one of them.

      "No actually I'm fine. I'm just tired because we climbed up a hill for the last 20 minutes holding piles of logs in our hands. Plus everyone else is exhausted."

      "I'm not. Jacks not. Neither is Luke, Ralph, or Maurice. But it's understandable since you're a girl." He snickered, getting in my head.

      "Shut the hell up, Roger."

      "What did you just say to me?"

      "I told you to shut up. Nobody cares what you have to say, especially not me. You're just a lowlife honestly." I told him. I hate him so much, he used misogyny against me? Are you serious?

      "How about you shut the hell up, Fay."

      "Dude, I didn't even do anything wrong. You're the one bashing me saying I can't do stuff because I'm a girl for no reason?" I rolled my eyes. Stupid boys like this don't even deserve my attention at this point.

      I turned my back from him, and started slightly walking away. I felt a grip on my shoulder, pulling me back so hard that my vision blurred for a few seconds.

      What the fuck?"

      "I swear to God Fay, do not say stupid shit like that to me."

      Get a grip Fay. Don't let him bother you.