part 7

The branches scraped our legs as we kept running, making it all of the way back to camp.

"Oh my god..." I gasped for breath, as I looked back to Simon.

He just looked at the ground and then back up to me, mouth wide open and his eyebrows raised in shock.

"Fay you broke Rogers nose!" He exhaled out, and slightly smiled.

"He had no right to do what he did. He's such an asshole." I sighed, wiping my forehead.

I know that I wouldn't be able to avoid him, and I would see him again tonight. I just couldn't be around him right now, maybe when he isn't feeling as much pain would be a better time..

      "What are we gonna do about Jasper..?"

      "Simon.." I exhaled slowly, still catching my breath, "We cant do anything. I'm sorry. He was an amazing chameleon.. and Roger is just a dick. He has no pity for anyone whatsoever." I let out a sigh as I saw Simon put his head back down to the ground.

      "How long has it been since the hunters left this morning?" He questioned me, as we stood alone with nobody else at camp.

      "I- I'm not sure. I think maybe like an hour?" He said they'll be gone for 2 hours, so I guess we have another hour." I told him softly.

      "Oh.. we'll I'm going to go back there. I'm going to pick up Jaspers body and bury him."

      "Um? You are not going back there, Roger would probably beat the living shit out of you." I grunted. Why did he think that was a good idea?

      "They're probably gone by now! Please will you let me go? You can come with to check that they're gone!" He cried.

      As much as I didn't want to go back there and it would pretty much be the last thing I would want to do in the world, I didn't want to let Simon go by himself. And honestly, he's right. They might be gone, so why not take my chance?

      "Fine. But if we see them, we aren't going to say a single word. Just pick up the chameleon and walk away. Ignore them if they try to talk to us aswell, understand?" I instructed Simon.

      He nodded his head and grabbed my wrist, as he started running towards the way we came from. It really wasn't that far, and we made it there in no time.

      Thank God, they were all gone. You could see wood shavings from the spears that they were sharpening, leaving a trace behind.

There lying on the ground was Jasper, now full of dried blood with a hole in his chest.

Simon picked him up by the tail, and started to swell up in tears. He came over to me and leaned his head into my chest as he sobbed.

Most people would think he was being dramatic, but it was his best friend. He's not really friends with anyone here besides Ralph or me, and Jasper was his pet aswell as his buddy.

I wrapped my arms around him in a hug, as I slowly let go then and he took his head off of me and wiped his tears into his shirt.

"Are you ready to go back?" I questioned in my softest voice.

"Ye-yeah." He sighed and sniffled.

I put my arm around his shoulder as we started walking back to camp. It was silent, and the trees were still. It finally felt peaceful.

Our legs finally walked back to camp, and Simon looked around the beach.

"I'm going to go bury him over there." He pointed in a right direction, towards the sand.