part 18

I woke up feeling guilty as hell.

      I realized I had left Ralph alone that whole night. He probably hates me now, but I can't change the past.

      Jack was already gone.

      Again.

      So I was just left alone at their camp.

      I ruffled my hair over my head, realizing it wouldn't move.

      I displayed my fingers across the braid that was still in my hair, and just shook my head.

      I took the pony tail out from the bottom, and put it back around my wrist.

I could feel the curls that formed against my hair, after sleeping in it all night.

      I got up from the ground, and started to walk away from their campsite.

      "Wait!" A boy called. It was Rapper.

      I look to him with confusion, and crossed my arms.

      "Jack made me watch you. You know, so you don't leave." He says.

      My eyebrows raise, and my eyes widen. Is he serious right now?

      "Jacks not the boss of me though." I tell him, and start leaving.

      "I'm sorry but you can't go!" He runs up and grabs me by the arm, pulling me back.

      I tug it away from his reach, and give him a concerned look.

      "You tell him that he can't make me stay." I say, and leave the campsite without another word.

• • •

      Ralph was adding branches to a single shelter, supporting it by tying twigs together.

      He heard my footsteps coming near him, and looked up from his job.

      "Oh hey." He says, uninterested.

      I huff out a sigh, "I'm sorry. I should've came back last night."

      He just shrugs and nods his head.

      "Are you dating Jack or something? Why do you care about him so much?" He looks up at me.

      I chuckle a little bit, "Yeah, I guess you could say that. I don't know."

      His head turns back to his shelter, as he continues working on it.

      "He's not a good person. You should probably stay away from him." He grumbles.

      My eyes scrunch as I glare at him.

      "He's not that bad. And he's not going to do anything to hurt me." I defend.

      "Fine. But don't say I didn't warn ya'." Ralph beams.

      I just ignore him, and look up to the mountain to see if he has his fire started yet.

      "Hey Ralph, need help starting your fire?" I ask happily.

      "That would be nice, if only I wasn't out of fire wood. The hunters took the rest of mine." He tells me sarcastically, reminding me how much of an asshole they are.