Group project part 1

As we pulled up in front of my house I started to get nervous. "You ready" nick looks over at me. "For...?" "To get a start on this project, what else?" Nick chuckled. "Yeah, definitely just nervous about doing double the work". I pull my keys out and unlock the door. "Ugh just one second" I close the door on him. I rush around trying to find all of the pictures of Ben and I and shove them in a drawer. I'm definitely not trying to hide that I have a boyfriend. I just know Ben doesn't want anyone to know. Yeah that's it.. "okay sorry about that, needed to clean up a little bit" I blushed. Nick walked through the door and Tossed his backpack on the table. I pull out my notebook and start to brainstorm ideas. "I want to do hard determinism, is that okay?" I look over at Nick to see him staring at me. "Hello earth to nick" he blushed "sorry char, yeah that's fine". "Are you okay you seem out of it?". I asked "oh yeah I'm fine just can't seem to focus on the assignment". He looks perplexed. "Do you want to go play video games? It's not due till Friday so we still have 2 more days to work on it". "I'm down to kick your ass in Mario kart" he smirks. "Oh really now, because as I recall I'm known as the Mario cart king" I laugh. Nick sits on my bed and looks around the room. He points to a picture of Ben and I on my nightstand "is that your roommate?" Oh shit I forgot one. "Uh yeah that's Ben we have been best friends for a few years now" best friends my ass. This would be so much easier if I could just tell him. "Oh okay I thought maybe it was your boyfriend of something. You look very cuddly together" he looked down at his feet. "Well I am Gay if that's what your asking, is that a problem?" I asked and my cheeks started to turn red. Would Elle had really wanted me to be friends with someone homophobic? He stood up and wrapped his arms around me in a hug. "God no Charlie, of course not I am so sorry it came off that way". He pulled back and smiled shyly. My cheeks turned rosey as he pulled back inches from my face. He looked back down at me and backed away quickly. "Sorry I just didn't want you to think I'm like that. I'm totally cool with it". "Now who's the one saying sorry all the time" I laughed. "It's okay really, I'm just so used to people having a problem with it and I got defensive." I sat back down next to him and gave a little smile. He picked up the controller and nudged me. I nudged him back and started the race. As I passed him in the 3rd lap and crossed the finish line. Nick laid back on the bed and groaned "ughhhhh why can't you just let me win one round, that's five in a row." I laid back next to him and turned to face him. I reach my hand out and poke him in the cheek "because that isn't as much fun as what was it 'kicking your ass'" I burst into a laugh. Nick reached over and put his hand over my mouth "oui, shut up" I looked up at Nick and time stopped. Those damn butterflies returned. Nick stopped laughing and looked down at me. He grew doe eyes and we just stayed laying with his hand on my mouth for what felt like forever. Suddenly Nick jerked up. "So uh it's pretty late, wanna order some food" he coughed. "Ugh yeah sure, Chinese?" "Chinese"

The doorbell rings and Nick runs down the stairs like a little kid on Christmas. "Hungry?" I joked "very" he pouts. I'm very glad Elle texted him, I think we could be really good friends. We plop down on the middle of the couch. Almost touching but not quite. "I can't believe you don't like orange chicken" I say "it's so much better than sweet and sour". "Agree to disagree" he shrugs and puts another spoonful in his mouth. I reach for the remote and start to scroll through Netflix. I put on a random movie. I want to get to know more about Nick but just talking seems awkward. "So you don't like orange chicken, what else don't I know about you" I lifted my eye brows and chuckled. "Well you know I have a bother. His name is David, he's an asshole. Uh my mom and dad split. He lives in France and I live here with my mom. I don't see him much." "Oh nick I'm so sorry" "wait do you speak French" I perk up "yes char I speak French, no I'm not going to speak it for you" "fine" I pout "anyway" he says. "My favorite color is blue, I'm an education major" he beamed. "What about you?" "Well, I have a brother and sister. My favorite color is yellow, like sunshine. And I'm a philosophy major." "Oh lucky me I paired up with someone who actually knows this stuff" he laughed "it's crazy we've only talked for a few weeks, your so easy to talk to." Nick said while blushing "Ben and I never talk like this" I sigh. "Oh, I'm sorry char, aren't you guys best friends" he had a sad look on his face. "Uh yeah best friends... I don't know he's just always busy. He's in the army so he's gone a lot". "Oh that makes sense. So your home alone a lot?" "Yeah but it's okay, I quite like it actually." Nick nodded his head and turned back to face the movie. As it came to an end he let out a long yawn that caused his jacket to lift exposing his stomach. He looked over at me and I jerked my head up giving him a shy smile. "Tired?" I asked. "Yeah, I think I better head out" "we will work on the project more tomorrow, yeah?" I nodded and headed to the door. He stepped past me and stood outside the door. "Char, I had a really good time tonight, even if you did maybe beat my ass in Mario cart" he chuckled and scratched his neck. "Maybe I'll let you win one on these times, but I had a really good time too". We stood there for a minute too long just looking at each other. "Okay well I guess I'll uh get going" with a hint of sadness in his voice. "Bye Nick" I waved. I walked back in the house and slid down the door. Yesterday I was so happy with Ben, but now I don't know. Is Nick flirting with me? He can't be he's a football player and he's definitely straight. I look at his contact in my phone debating on texting him. I shake my head and text Ben instead.
     C: Goodnight love ❤️
B: Night Charlie.
I put my phone down and sighed. What the hell did I get myself into.