Friends?

The same night:

"Who the hell was that Charlie?" Ben huffed. "Nick, he's been taking me home." I squeaked and looked down. "I thought you said Elle was taking you home everyday? You've been alone with him everyday!" He lowered his brows. "What happened to Elle?" He was pacing. Ben only paces when he's really upset. But it's his fault  I have to find another ride anyway."Well she's busy and Nick lives right down the street.. I never said it was Elle taking me home. You just never asked." I snapped rolling my eyes and brushing past him. "Look, I'm not angry or anything I just don't understand why you wouldn't just tell me." Ben slumped down on the couch. "I'm sorry okay? We are just friends." I sat down next to him and grabbed his hand giving it a small kiss. "I only have eyes for you okay?" I smiled sweetly. "Yeah, whatever." He pulled his hand back. "It's not like anyone else would wanna be with you anyway." He turned the tv on not looking at me. I slumped further back into the couch. We stayed there for an hour as we finished the last episode of stranger things. Ben turned the tv off and looked over at me. "Just friends right?" He looks down playing with the button on his jeans. "Just friends." I answered back. I felt a ping of guilt rush over me. We may be just friends but I can't help wanting more. Ben reaches over and pushes my hair behind my ear. "Okay" he blushed. Is.. is Ben Hope actually jealous of Nick? This is the first time he's been sweet to me in months. An idea springs in my mind but is quickly cut off by the feeling of his lips on mine. I smiled into the kiss. The kiss was long and slow. It's almost as if I could feel the needing of affection from him. He was worried about losing me. "Finally" I thought. This. This is why I love Ben and need to forget about Nick. He pulled away slowly still cupping my cheek. "Wanna go to bed?" He asked sweetly. "Sure." And with that we headed upstairs.

The next morning I woke up with my arms wrapped around Ben's waist. I looked up and smiled. He was snoring, but he was snoring next to me and that's what matters. It had been weeks since we had slept in the same bed. He woke up and shifted. "Morning" he said smiling down at me. "Morning" I rolled out of bed and threw on a jacket. I walked down stairs and made a pot of coffee. About 30 minutes later Ben came down rubbing the towel over his hair. "Here" I handed him a cup. He looked down "really Charlie, a heart?" he rolled his eyes. "Oh yeah I just wanted it to be special." I rubbed my hand up and down my arm. "Thanks" he rolled his eyes again and took a sip. Obviously sweet Ben was gone and my normal been had reappeared. I sighed taking a sip of my coffee wishing things were different. My phone started ringing in the other room and Ben grabbed it. "Are you fucking kidding me Charlie?" He yelled. "What what's..." I grabbed the phone and see a missed call from Nick and a text.
N: Goodmorning Char 💕
I stammered not knowing what to say. "It's not, we're not." "I can't believe your cheating on me." He yelled slamming his cup down spilling coffee everywhere. "Ben I would never, I love you!" I yelled back. "Just admit you have feeling for him already." He scoffed. "I seen you holding his face last night." I stepped back not knowing what to say. I mean yeah I have some feelings for Nick but I would never blow up my relationship for someone who is probably straight anyway. "I..I.. We are jus.." Ben shook his head "Just leave." Ben walked away and went upstairs. Why didn't I just answer him. Why didn't I just tell him I don't like Nick. Tears welled in my eyes and I stood there shocked. Why is he being such an asshole. He was so sweet last night and this morning. I dumped my coffee into the sink suddenly not having much of an appetite. I grabbed my bag and headed for the door. I walked outside and called Nick. "Hey Char" he answered gleefully. "Hey Nick" I sniffed. "What's wrong?" "Can you.. can you just come get me?" I asked and tears started to spill. "Be there in 5." I hung up the phone sitting on the curb with my knees pulled to my chest. Nick pulled to a slow stop getting out of the car. "What the hell did he do?" He asked. "What, what do you mean?" I rubbed the tears out of my eyes. "Did you guys get in a fight?" His face tuned red. "Yeah... but it's my fault.." I stammered. Nick reached his hand out and I grabbed it standing up. He picked up my backpack throwing it in the backseat. "Come on" he said opening the passenger door. "We are gonna be late." I slipped into the car buckling my seat belt. "What kind of best friend makes you cry." He mumbled turning up the music. "He not just my fri.." I start to say but Nick interrupts "I mean how can you just kick your best friend out of their own house." His face was an apple red again. "It's okay he will be gone for training again until Monday." I perked up. "Well he better say sorry for whatever he did." Nick huffed. I let out a chuckle. "Nick it was my fault." "Well you could never do anything wrong char." He winked. Nick being protective over me was not helping with this crush thing. Maybe just maybe we could work in another universe I thought. One where he's not straight.. "I'll see you in Phil class later. We are gonna kill this project." Nick says snapping me out of my thoughts. "Yeah, see you later Nick" I grabbed my bag out of his back seat and headed for English. I pulled out my phone calling Elle.
E: "CHARLIE!!"
     C: "hey Elle"  I sniffed
E:" what's wrong?!"
     C: "I think I need to break up with Ben." This morning all came rushing back.
E: "Finally"

We talked for a few more minutes. I told her what happened with Ben. "He's Never treated you right Charlie. All he's ever done is hide you and is ashamed of you. We aren't even allowed over because he doesn't know we know. You deserve better" she says and I can feel the encouragement coming through the phone. "Yeah your right" I answered. "Thank you Elle." "Of course" and I hung up the phone. Ben gets back on Monday. I'll break up with him then.