A Promise

Your parents told you to stay home and watch your sister. They said that no matter what happened the most important thing was for you to protect her. For you to protect each other.

"But who will protect you" you asked of your parents. To this they could only look at you sadly before saying their goodbyes.

And as sudden as their return so was their exit. And you were left there lying on the couch with your sister. Scared, alone, and confused. You looked down at her she had her head buried into your shoulder. And you smiled slightly to yourself. You were her protector. And at least you had each other.

But you pulled your gaze away from her and stared intently at the door. And something moved you. Something deep inside told you you couldn't wait. That you couldn't sit here and hope and pray for the return of those you loved. You had to do something you had to act. And before you knew it you were standing up and walking out the door.

You had to follow them you had to find out where they were going. Make sure they were okay. They would return home you would make sure of it. So, you walked forward following the noises of commotion and the intense thundering of an ongoing march.

But something stopped you. Something was pulling you back. You turned around only to see your sister holding your arm. Wet streaks could still be seen on her cheeks, and she was still clutching the elephant in her other hand.

Sister: Where are you going?

Your face softened as you looked down at her.

Y/n: I'm going to protect our family.

You knew you had to tell her to go back. It was dangerous and you couldn't risk her safety. You knelt down in front of her putting a hand on her shoulder.

Y/n: You have to go back. It's not safe for you.

You knew it would hurt her, but you had to tell her to go home where should we be safe and far from danger.

Sister: No, I want to come with you. I want to help mommy and daddy. I can help too.

You felt your eyes water up. You could hear the slight desperation in her voice as she begged to come. It was just as hard for her as it was for you.

Y/n: You don't understand. You can't come. I'm telling you as your brother to go home.

Sister: No! I won't leave them! I won't leave you!

You could see her eyes watering up. And that was it. You couldn't refuse her. So, you pulled her in and hugged her as tight as you could. And you both quietly sobbed into each other shoulders. And it felt like the world itself slowed down. Nothing else seemed to matter. You were just sharing this moment with your sister. Minutes seemed like hours but eventually you pulled way.

Slowly you bent down and picked her up. Hoisting her onto your shoulder and you continued forward sister in hand. And as the rain started to pour and your house disappeared into the growing fog. You made a silent promise to yourself. You would die before you let anyone hurt your sister. And with that you continued on.

Author Note

Sorry for the shorter chapter. Just that their needed to be a little more set up before going into the bridge scene. Hope you enjoyed though. I'll be getting the next chapter out soon hopefully it will be quite a bit longer. I think I'm planning on trying to release one chapter every two days but who knows. I might get some out earlier or later depending on how I'm feeling. Anyways thanks for reading and I hope you have a nice day.

- Machine Herald