Upgrades

Y/n: What?

You looked at Viktor as he finished speaking. It was black under his eyes. And his clothes and hair were in slight disarray. He looked tired but the only emotion he portrayed right now was determination. Jayce was standing in front of the large desk against the wall. Leaning on it as he shook his head. Trying to steady himself as all of the stress he had felt over the last few days passed through him. Leaving him exhausted and irritated. He knew it was the only way. But he didn't like it. He opened his mouth again trying futilely to come up with some other option. Or flaw in the plan. Seeing that Jayce was going to be rambling for a bit. Viktor who saw you were rather uncomfortable strapped to the desk. Began undoing the straps as his partner talked more to himself than the two of you.

Jayce: Well do we even know if this can work. To fully heal and keep Y/n functioning we would need something as powerful as the hexcore. And we both know there's no time to build another. Or even decipher its secrets in time.

You saw Viktor unclip another strap as he opened his mouth to respond.

Viktor: No, actually the solution is much simpler. As an example, let's look at my own situation. To cure myself we need to discern a way to control and replicate healing magic through the hexcore. The reason being that there is no real cure for my mortal condition. Magic being the only alternative.

You looked back at Viktor stunned. You didn't know that he was so plagued by sickness. He had seemed so tired and fatigued. But you had assumed it was from days of tireless work not a morbid condition. You continued to watch him as he spoke feeling even more connected with Viktor. You weren't that different.

Viktor: In Y/n's case the solution is already there. Unlike me there is a simple cure to his condition. No healing magic required. He can heal and repair himself using his own machinery and body. The only reason he can't is because of his depleted energy. So logically if we could fashion a device out of a hextech gemstone that could power Y/n's mechanisms. Then his body would heal itself. As I said quite simple.

You saw him look back over at Jayce. Him still trying to grasp on to something anything to dissuade his partner that this wasn't the right course of action. But it was getting increasingly difficult.

Jayce: Okay your right about that. But maybe. Maybe there's enough time to figure something else out. There could be another self-sustaining energy source we don't know yet. Maybe it won't take us as long The Doctor. We could reverse engineer the core. Yes. Yes, that could work.

Jayce began speeding up as he continued to talk. Trying to make another viable solution. Slowly Viktor undid the last strap. Letting you sit up as you stretched out. Getting in a more comfortable sitting position as you thanked Viktor.

Jayce: We would just have to make sure its stable for the time being. And study it and find a way to replicate its self-sufficient energy. We would only have to. . .

The words slowly died on his lips as he realized the problem. Viktor continuing for him as he already had discerned the exact same thing.

Viktor: We would have to extract the core from Y/n to study it. And if we did, we would be removing his only energy source. The very thing keeping him alive.

Viktor sighed sadly as he continued. Looking back at Jayce who shook his head still leaning on the desk.

Viktor: As I said Jayce. This is our only choice. We have to do it.

You looked between the two of them quickly. Still unable to figure out what they were talking about. Quite fed up with being left in the dark you decided to just ask.