A Second Chance

Pain. You felt yourself slowly drift back into consciousness. It was dark and you felt so tired. Your body felt like it was on fire. You could feel warm blood on your chest. The stabs wounds still painfully present. You felt your forearms weak and brittle. The bones in both felt broken. And your thigh felt almost unmovable. You could still feel pieces of metal left behind from the pipe inside your skin and muscle. Your chest shuddered with every breath you took. It hurt to even breath. "It would be easier to just die here." you thought to yourself. But your conscious wouldn't let you do that. You had to make it back to Powder. Get her away from that bastard Silco. You had to keep your promise. You had already broken one you wouldn't break another. You could hear your sister giggle in your ear quietly.

Suddenly you felt something sharp plunge into your shoulder. And you gasped and shuddered as you felt something get injected into you. Your eyes opened quickly, and you felt your head shoot up. Breathing heavily, you took a moment to catch your breath and calm down before studying your surroundings. You were strapped to a metal worktable. Leather straps pinning your arms to your side and preventing you from moving. There was a bright light hanging above you that shined in your eyes. Glancing to the left you saw a man standing above you holding a syringe. He was the man who had found you in the alley. You took a moment to take another painful gasping breath

Singed: Ah, so your awake.

He spoke calmy as he placed the syringe down on the table.

Singed: I wanted to commence my operations as soon as possible. But I felt I should have a word with you before continuing.

You didn't know what he was talking about and frankly you were to tired and pained to care. But at the moment he was your best chance at surviving and making it back to Powder. Your chest flooded with pain as you took another breath.

Y/n: Who are you?

Singed: Who I am does not matter. But you may call me The Doctor if it eases your mind.

A strange thing to want to be called.

Y/n: What are you going to do?

Singed: Well, my plan was to try and save you. After that explosion at the cannery, I came back to see what was left of the others. And I found you lying in the rain and smoke.

An odd story you thought. You felt your chest tighten with pain as you took another breath.

Y/n: So, you just took me here to save me. Without so much as a second thought.

Singed: Well, I was already looking for a test subject to try some of my experiments on. And you seemed a worthy candidate at the time.

You thought to yourself quietly as he spoke. Chest still shaking with pain.

Y/n: What kind of experiments?

Singed: Human augmentation and other such modifications. If you will allow me to try my experiments on you. As a byproduct I will save your life in the process. Not that you have much of a say in the matter. But it would go much smoother if you did choose to cooperate.

It only took you a moment to think it over. If this mad scientist wanted to experiment on you. Fine. As long as it got you back to Powder.

Y/n: You'd promise that I'll come back in full working order?

Singed: Yes indeed. In fact, your new body will outperform your old one by quite a wide margin. If everything goes to plan.

You took another painful breath before formulating your response.

Y/n: Then I agree.

Singed: Excellent. I haven't had a willing test subject in a long time.

Then you watched as he slowly moved to another worktable across the room. You could see him pull out a vile of some purple ooze. Flashes of Benzo dead on the floor a purple monster standing over him. Images of Vander on the bridge purple veins riddling his body. Pierced your mind.