A Dead Man in The Street

You felt your eyes shoot open as you sat up. Quickly looking around you took a moment to study your surroundings. You were lying against a wall in an alleyway. There were boxes and garbage piled up around you. And the whole area smelled of old alcohol. It seemed pretty late, but the streetlamps were illuminating everything pretty well. You then quickly took a glance at yourself to make sure you were all right. You were still wearing the clothes you had put on back at the lab. And you could even see the faint glow of your green veins through the fabric. You then realized you needed to check for something. Slowly you reached for your back pocket and sure enough the knife was still there.

Satisfied you got up and found that it was surprisingly easy. Slowly you stepped out of the alley scanning the street you were now standing in. You recognized it as one of the streets on the farther ends of The Lanes very out of the way of any major foot traffic. The Doctor had picked a good spot. You then remembered what he had told you to do as soon as you awoke. So, taking one more look down each side of the street you picked one way and began to walk. And it felt great. Great to be moving. Great to be out of that lab. Great to be home. Slowly your walk turned into a jog. And then a run. Until you were sprinting down the streets of The Lanes. Your jacket flowing behind you as you sped up. You had no destination in mind. But it just felt good to run to move. You could feel the mechanisms in your leg moving faster and faster. The liquid in your veins flowing through your body. Giving it more energy than you had ever thought possible. So, you ran through the empty streets of your home. But above unknown to you someone was watching. 

Her blue hair flowing in the wind as she walked along the rooftops. Bombs attached to her belt, a pistol on her hip, and a machine gun strapped across her back. Humming to herself she turned her head suddenly noticing movement from the street below. She saw some guy running through the streets. At first, she smiled and laughed to herself. Probably some late-night drunk. But before she turned away, she felt an air of familiarity. A feeling she couldn't explain. The younger man ran by, and she leaned over the edge of the roof trying to get a view of his face. Suddenly she heard a barrage of whispering voices in her head. A ghastly image appearing over her shoulder.

Jinx: Shut up! I'm trying to focus.

Looking back at the apparition she quickly turned her head back around towards the street. Still attempting to get a better look at the person running. His back now turned to her as he continued to sprint past her. Suddenly she blinked and the man turned into a boy. A young teenager running through the streets. Someone she had heard in her head ever since that day. Shield strapped to his back as he ran through the empty streets. She blinked and suddenly the boy was the man again. He turned the corner still sprinting out of view. Quickly she got up from her crouching position and began running and leaping across the rooftops. She knew it was probably another taunting vision. Another image designed to torture her. But she ran anyways. Ran to see him again.

Turning down another street you kept sprinting as you felt the cold nights wind blow by you. Moving forward you looked ahead down the road. And you saw a figure far away. You blinked trying to get a better look but suddenly the person was even closer. And you could see the distinct image of a little blue haired girl holding a stuffed rabbit. You stumbled as you saw her. You attempted to catch yourself, but you tripped and fell onto the ground face first. You took a second to catch your breath as you lied there. Slowly you used your hands to push yourself up but as you looked up you saw Powder standing in front of you looking down at you. She looked the same as on that day. Just like how she did when she walked up to Vi so full of hope and joy. But there were no such emotions on her face now.

Y/n: P. . . Powder?

You reached out to touch her with one hand while the other still propped you up. But as you did, she only looked sadly at you before turning away and disappearing into the mist. Your hand fell and you lied there as you felt your body shake. Tears beginning to trickle down your face. Hearing that same accusing voice whispering in your ear.