2: The Best Guy I Know

"Tiara." I felt a nudge on my arm and I was instantly brought back to reality. I took in my surroundings, forgetting where I was for a split second.

The sound of a familiar afropop song and flashing lights swirling around the large, magical looking hall refreshed my memory.

The very last thing I had wanted to do was attend a wedding but one of my mother's close friends had invited the entire family to the wedding of her first daughter and mom had made mine and Benjamin's attendance compulsory since Adiola and my dad already had an appointment with her optometrist.

Mom had always said that if we didn't show up to celebrate with others on special occasions like this how could we expect them to celebrate with us when our time had come.

I didn't care much though, I was at a stranger's wedding, watching a happy couple promise to spend the rest of their lives together when I suspected that my relationship was about to crumble.

I gave a sigh, shaking the bad thoughts out of my head. I still had no idea about who Derrek had been talking to when I had called him last Saturday. I had tried my best not to jump into conclusions but every so often, I wondered who the mysterious lady was. I had pondered on asking Derrek about it but I didn't want to seem like an insecure girlfriend who had zero trust in her boyfriend, so, I decided to ignore it. It didn't matter anyway as Derrek was coming home this coming week.

"You remember my friend, Queen from my department in the university?" Mom said with a smile on her face. I couldn't really recall but I nodded anyway as the curvy woman next to her—whom I assumed to be the Queen my mom had been referring to—had her eyes trained on me.

"Oh, yes. I remember." I answered.

"She's the Aunt of the bride." Mom motioned the woman beside her dressed in the purple wedding asoebi.

"Good afternoon Ma." I greeted, bending my knees as the Nigerian female gender did when greeting elders, to show respect.

"My dear, how are you? You are a splitting image of your mom." Queen said, placing a hand on my shoulder for a brief moment. "Oh, here she comes!" Her smile for wider as something caught her attention behind me.

I glanced back to see a dark skinned, sophisticated looking woman walking up to us with her chin tilted upwards and a bored look on her face.

"Mom, I heard you were looking for me." She said to Queen, barely sparing my mom and I a glance.

I took a moment to assess her. She looked to be about five feet and five or six inches and she had an hour glass physique which was highlighted by the figure hugging dress she had on. She was beautiful with upturned eyes, a slim nose and high cheekbones but I could bet she would look even more beautiful if she didn't frown so much. I was never one to judge a book by its cover but she did come across as a mean person. It was either that or she had a resting mean face.

"Yes, dear. I wanted to introduce you to my friend from the University and her daughter." Queen said, motioning to my mom and I.

"Good afternoon Ma." The woman greeted my mother before saying a quick hello to me and turning back to her mother to excuse herself. "Sorry, mom. There are so many things I'm taking care of right now. I'll have to excuse myself for now."

"That's alright, my dear. Your cousin gave you such a huge responsibility today." Queen said and her daughter nodded before walking away. "That was my daughter, Nicole. She's been running up and down since morning as Stella put her in charge of the wedding."

Stella must have been the bride.

"Oh, she's the one you said got married a couple of years ago?" Mom asked and Queen nodded.