11: No Crime Was Committed

I couldn't recognize the man standing in front of me. He was a far cry from the man I had seen weeks ago. Derrek always had this sparkle about him. He always had this light in his eyes that made the world seem brighter, that made my day seem brighter but that light was gone and all that remained now was sadness and confusion.

Without saying another word, I took a step closer to him and wrapped my arms around him. He was tense for a moment but eventually relaxed into my arms, wrapping his arms around me and he instantly broke down. I never heard a sob from him but I could hear his sniffs and I could feel his chest heave. I hugged him tightly, gently brushing my hand over his back in a repetitive motion in an attempt to console him while I bit on my lower lip to stop myself from crying as well.

It broke my heart to see him this way. I couldn't help but wonder what had happened to drown him in this sea of sadness that I had seen in his eyes and how could I bring him out of it?

A few minutes later, Derrek collected himself and invited me in.

Giving him a small smile, I stepped into the house, taking a good look at the interior. It was like I had expected it to be, modern and sophisticated. It was very Derrek with the neutral color blends and little pop of color that tied everything together.

There was a beautiful chandelier that welcomed me into the hallway that had white walls and white with black stripped marble floor. There was a large black and white photograph of a beach. It was taking on the shore, showing little footprints engraved in the sand, leading into the calm looking sea. Even in black and white, I could still tell how colorful and beautiful the sea was and how blue the sky must have been. It was very calming to look at. I wondered who the little footprints belonged to. They seemed so small and cute.

I walked out into the living room and I was in awe at the artistic decor. Derrek definitely hadn't put this all together himself.

The couches were white contrasting the black circular rug at the centre of the room, lying beneath a contemporary, steel case, round coffee table with a black marble top. There were matching stools at the sides of the couches and to the back of the room was a black shelf that consisted of a lot of books of every colour, vases and abstract sculptures. To the wall to the front of the room was a huge TV and stereo system. To the left wall was just a blank white space and the ceiling held up a beautiful chandelier. It was a beautiful house. I couldn't deny that.

I took a seat, awkwardly watching as Derrek proceeded to put the TV on mute. It was a football match and I had briefly seen Alex Iwobi on the screen.

Derrek took a seat beside me on the couch and stared down at the ground. I held myself back from reaching for him. I just wanted to hold his hand. He looked so lonely.

"How did you find me?" He asked as he rested his elbows on his knees and weaved his fingers together.

"It doesn't matter, Derrek." I replied, my eyes never leaving him. I had begun to tear up as my heart ached all the more. I could hear it in his voice. Something was bothering him. "I tried calling you."

"I know." He answered monotonously.

"I was worried, you know."

"Hmm." He gave a simple nod, unclasping and clasping his fingers together again. It was like he was making a conscious effort not to speak to me.

"What's going on with you, Derrek?" I asked, scooting closer to him. "Please, talk to me." I implored, placing a hand on his back and he got up to his feet immediately, like my touch had burned him. I ignored the pain I felt in my heart.

"You should go." He said in a low voice, turning away from me.

"No!" I firmly objected, getting up to my feet as well.