18: Final Play

A/N:
Thanks for 700+ reads!!!
❤️❤️❤️

Please read the Author's Note at the end of the chapter.

I had just come back from my early morning jog when I heard my phone ring. I chugged down a bottle of water before heading over to the bed where I had set my phone down before I left. It was only seven in the morning so I was curious to know who had been calling so early.

I smiled as Tiara crossed my mind. Maybe it was a good morning call from my beloved. I longed to hear her cute morning voice.

My smile dropped as I saw my mother's name on my screen. She definitely wasn't calling so early to wish me a good day. She must have been calling because of what happened with my father yesterday but why so early?

"Good morning, mother." I answered.

"Derrek, can't you just try to get along with your father?"

"Mom-"

"Please, come over for dinner. Johanson and the twins will be joining us. I called early to let you know, so, you can clear your schedule." She informed and I sighed.

"I don't think father would be pleased to see me. He just kicked me out of his house yesterday."

"He's the one who suggested dinner." If father had been the one to suggest dinner, it was no ordinary family gathering. It was a family meeting and there was no doubt that he had a lot to say.

"I don't think this is a good idea." It felt like father was setting a trap and I knew better than to walk into it.

"Derrek, please. I just want to have a meal with my family. It's been so long since your father and I had you four at the same table with us." Mom pleaded and my heart melted immediately. I couldn't say no to my mother. She must have missed us dearly. I missed her a lot as well.

"I'll be there."

*

The entire Dune family were gathered under one roof. It was nothing short of a miracle. Johanson was seated across from me with a pronounced frown on his face, the twins were seated to my left with their heads down as they fiddled with their phones and mother glanced at her children with a bittersweet look on her face. Father, however, was no where to be seen. He was late to his own dinner party. How very like him.

"Your father must have been caught up with some urgent work." Mother said as if reading my mind.

"I left my wife home alone to be here. I'm starting to regret it." Johanson mumbled and mother sighed.

"He's right. I've got finals coming up and I put my reading on hold to be here, so, where is father?" Kinsley looked up from her phone. Olivia, on the other hand, didn't utter a word. She was the quiet type and didn't speak unless she absolutely needed to. She hated confrontations and conflict unlike her loud mouth, troublemaking twin.

"I'm sure he will be here soon." Mother tried to assure us but I could tell even she was starting to get upset by father's tardiness. "Why don't you all tell me what you've been up to lately?"

I looked at my siblings who looked tortured to be here. My siblings and I weren't at all close. They were more like strangers to me.

Growing up, I only got to see my siblings twice a week and that was on weekends. During weekdays, I was way too busy with my after school lessons and home lessons to see what my siblings were up to. To be honest, I got jealous whenever I heard the twins giggling as they ran up and down the hallway. Father gave his princesses a lot of free time. They never had to attend after school lessons like I did. They only had lesson teachers come over for an hour or so, plus, piano and violin lessons twice a week and then they were free to play.