15: Those Days

A/N:

Thanks for 100 votes!!!
❤️❤️❤️

Derrek's POV

"Welcome home, Mr Dune." I was greeted by my family's house keeper, Dorothy. She had on a stoic face as always.

Dorothy had handled the affairs of the Dune mansion since the day we moved here. She was quite effective and never let any of the house staff slip up. Growing up, I was convinced she was a robot. I couldn't recall ever seeing her smile in all the years I had lived here.

"Hello, Dorothy. I trust you've been well?"

"Very well, Sir." She gave a bow of the head before turning to the two unfamiliar young maids and giving them a subtle nod.

The two ladies hurried in my direction and said soft and polite words of greeting before carrying my luggage away, giggling all the while. Dorothy didn't seem pleased at the fact.

"Where is mother?" I asked as Dorothy turned around to walk away. I was quite disappointed that Dorothy had been the only one to welcome me but it wasn't the least bit surprising. Mother was always out and about.

"She is getting ready for the Montgomery get-together." Dorothy informed and I sighed.

"Of course." I mumbled to myself as Dorothy walked away. I loved my mother dearly but sometimes it felt like she cared more about the presence of her socialite friends than she did the presence of her family. She sure loved to dress up and attend luncheons, galas and other high society events. She was her happiest in those moments when she could brag about being the best dressed at an event or being the highest bidder for an antique at an auction and I had been jealous of that, as a child. She had never showed as much excitement about my school musicals or science fairs and I had often felt like my siblings and I had taken second place to her elite lifestyle.

She had been a good mother though. She had put her children's health above all else. She used to tuck us in bed every night, she made sure we had breakfast before school every morning and devoted all her time to nursing us back to health whenever we fell ill. However, she could never stand up to my father whenever he took a punishment too far or hurt us verbally. She couldn't say a thing to him, not when he had been her source of extravagant lifestyle. She had let him do what ever he wanted with me and whenever I had complained of being too tired to see my tutor or too tired to study, she told me that it was all an investment towards my future and I was going to thank my father someday for all the effort he put into educating me.

There were many times when I wished she had demanded my father reduce my ridiculous daily schedule. I had no time to play or even relax after long hours of school.

The moment the bell rang to indicate closing hours, Felix had been waiting at the school gate to take me back home to have lunch and freshen up in no more than thirty minutes, then, I was transported to the venue where my after school lessons held until six in the evening. After that, I was taken back home to have dinner and an hour of recess before my foreign language tutor showed up.

A great business man needed to be able to communicate in the language of his clients was one of the lessons my father had thought me, so, I had taken French, Chinese and German lessons right until I got into the university. Sadly, I hadn't been any good at any of the languages even after all those years of lessons.

After my foreign language lesson, I had been given another hour for recess before I was taken to the house library to read the book of the week. Yes, I had been assigned a book every week to not only read but to provide a detailed review on said book. I was off to finish assignments right after and then, I was sent straight to bed. That was how tight and strict my daily schedule had been for years and no matter how hard I had cried when I couldn't go play football with Alex or watch football matches with my classmates and asked why my father had hated me so much, my mom only consoled me and told me that my father didn't hate me and only wished for me to be the absolute best.