Chapter 19

Harry's Lamborghini was already parked in the driveway when I got home at around 7:30. I could have been home hours ago, but instead I was circling around Malibu trying to calm down and come up with some kind of plan for what I was supposed to do now.

I opted to take at least part of my dad's advice, to play stupid.

The front door echoed in the grand entryway as I closed it and kicked off my sneakers, switching the lock like I always did. I could hear drawers opening and closing in the kitchen before Harry called out my name in questioning, but he knew it was me.

I was so desperate to make it seem like nothing was wrong that I had stopped by the mall about an hour ago to let one of the cosmetic consultants in Saks give me a subtle makeover in the namesake of wanting to try out new makeup. All I really wanted to do was make sure Harry couldn't tell I had been crying.

"Hi," he gave me the smirk he always did as he walked around the island to meet me for a kiss. "Where've you been all day, angel?"

"All over, kinda," I chuckled. "I went to see Claudia on her break, then did some shopping around in Hollywood, then sort of ended up in Beverly Hills, and traffic was a nightmare coming back here."

"Oh," he nodded as he tucked my hair behind my ears. "Not that I don't like it, but what's with all the makeup?"

I offered something of a laugh, and it felt out of place. "When I was at the mall, I kind of got sucked into having the girl at the Chanel counter do my makeup. It's too much, huh?"

He shook his head with a small smile. "Not if you like it, but you know I don't care if you're wearing makeup or not."

I swallowed as he leaned in to press his lips to my forehead, then brought me to sit down at the island so I could be there while he pulled out the food I guess he had picked up on his way home. Sometimes he cooked for me, but other times he just got takeout from the nicest restaurants around the city.

"It's gonna take a few minutes to heat all this up if you wanted to go and change or something," he said.

"You didn't eat without me?"

"'Course not," he chuckled like that was the obvious answer. "I wouldn't."

So he wouldn't dare eat dinner without me, but he had no problem lying about who he was and what he was to me. Got it.

"Well, that was nice of you," I rested my chin in my palm, staring at him now for what really felt like the first time in my life.

"It's 'cause I love you, babe," he winked at me, and I reciprocated his smile the best way I could until he started moving around the kitchen some more.

"So can I ask you something?" I started.

"Anything, love."

I crossed my arms on the counter and watched the back muscles flex in his white t-shirt as he placed our food on a baking tray to go into the oven. "What does Niall do for you?"

If I wasn't paying attention, I wouldn't have noticed the way his hands faltered for just half a second, most likely taken back by the question, but I caught it.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, how does he play into your business? Zayn is like the messenger boy, but what is Niall?"

"Oh," Harry turned once the food was in the oven. "Niall does much of the same shit. I mean, I've got a lot of investments so it's not like Zayn can do it all on his own."

"Hm," I nodded slowly, silently confirming to myself that Zayn was also a drug dealer.

"Why do you ask?"