Chapter 21

"Harry," I breathed, putting one hand out as I stumbled back a step. "It's okay, I won't tell anyone, I swear to God, I won't—"

"I know you won't, angel," he nodded with that pout, stepping forward to follow me as I backed up right out into the open alleyway, where Peter was now bleeding out and gasping for a breath.

"No, just please wait," I started to cry as Zayn and Niall looked over at me like they weren't sure what was happening now. "I don't even know what I saw, I didn't see anything, I won't say anything to anyone about anything—"

"Grace," Harry laughed as he reached out for me, but I dodged him so fast that I hit the brick wall behind me and almost knocked the air right out of my lungs from the force.

Now I was in the same position Peter was before, with my back against the wall and both of Harry's arms out to trap me against it. I couldn't stop crying as I looked down at him on the gravel, laying in a pool of his own blood.

"Should we take him?" Zayn asked, to which Harry simply shook his head.

So Zayn and Niall left without another word, except Niall did glance back at me over his shoulder like maybe he felt sorry for me. I sure as fucking hell felt sorry for me.

"Why are you crying, baby?" Harry whispered as he lifted both hands to wipe my tears away.

I swallowed instead of throwing up all over him, though I felt like that was about to happen. "Please don't kill me, Harry. I promise, I'll do whatever you want and I'll keep my mouth shut, and I'll leave California completely without telling anyone anything about you. But please just don't kill me."

He looked so confused, which only made me feel more insane. "Why would I kill you? I love you, Grace."

It was beyond me whether or not he was being genuine, or if this was part of same game Zayn played with Peter before he stabbed him to death. Well, not to death yet. He was still choking on his own blood.

"Once second," Harry huffed as he stepped away from me just to crouch down in front of Peter.

I thought about running, but somehow that idea seemed worse as I watched Harry yank the knife out of Peter's chest just to stab him in the side of the neck instead, ceasing all movement. He was dead as dead could be now.

I held my breath as Harry reached into his jacket for a silk cloth, which he used to wipe the traces of blood from his own hand, then cleaned the knife next before tucking both things safely back into his jacket.

"Are you gonna kill me now?" I whispered to him. "Is there anything I can do to change your mind? I'll literally get on my knees and beg if that's what you want."

"Grace," he cupped my face in both hands, which almost made me scream. "I am not going to kill you. How could you think that?"

My eyes widened at him as I lowered my gaze and tilted my head in Peter's direction.

"Oh," Harry chuckled as he released my face. "Yeah, well Peter is Peter. He was a waste of space and my resources. Believe me, if you got to know him you probably would have killed him yourself."

"Okay," I breathed, "I think I'm gonna be sick."

"Yeah, that's normal," he mumbled as he pulled out his phone and started typing on it. "If you can, just vomit now so I don't have to pull over once we're in the car. Please."

With that, I sank down to the gravel and scooted further away from the growing puddle of blood while Harry spoke to Zayn on the phone. He walked away so I couldn't really hear what he was saying, but he had his eyes on me, probably to make sure I didn't attempt to make a run for it.