Chapter 29

Today was the third morning in a row that I was woken up with waves of nausea in the pit of my stomach, all of which resulted in me vomiting in my and Harry's ensuite. I told myself it was food poisoning, and I told myself that my period was late because I was stressed.

The issue was, food poisoning didn't only last for a couple of minutes every morning, and I wasn't stressed when I missed my period to begin with. I was stressed now that it wasn't coming.

And now, sitting on the marble floor of the bathroom against the wall, I started to cry thinking of the most obvious possibility of what could be happening right now, and Harry was in Portland on business.

At that moment, I was having mood swings like you wouldn't believe. I laughed because it was absurd, I cried because it might be real, I was angry because I was laughing and crying, and I was in denial. There was no way in hell I was really pregnant with Harry Styles' baby.

I scrambled up off the floor to wash my hands and brush my teeth three times, then hurried to tie my hair up in a messy bun so I could wash my face with ice-cold water. The droplets slid down my face and onto my t-shirt as I blinked down at the porcelain sink, trying to teach my body how to breathe.

Vaguely, I heard the doorbell ringing downstairs, but Maria was there so I didn't bother rushing down to answer it. Instead, I dabbed at my face and collected myself before I got dressed for the day, putting in more effort than usual.

My outfit was simple, just a white T-shirt and jeans, but I did my makeup nicely and used a wand to wave my hair. It made me feel better, and it was also the distraction I knew I needed.

Downstairs, Maria greeted me with a more curious smile than she usually wore, and I blinked back at her with a straight face. Did she know? How could she know?

"There's a surprise for you in the entryway," she said.

"Oh," my shoulders dropped as I sighed and went to see what she was talking about.

On the large round table by the front door, was a massive bouquet of white roses in a beautiful glass vase. I chewed on the inside of my bottom lip as I found the card sticking out of it, and the word "Angel" was typed on the front rather than written in Harry's perfect script.

The inside of the card read: For my baby.

"Jesus Christ," I scoffed as I slapped the note down on the table.

"Something wrong Miss Carter?" Maria said.

I whipped my head up to her, pressing my lips together as I shook my head. "Nope. Everything is fine."

Her expression softened. "You really do have him so tight around your finger, huh?"

"Mm," I exhaled a laugh, running my hand back and forth over my forehead. "We'll see."

I sent Harry a thank you text for the flowers, but he didn't read it right away so I assumed he must be in a meeting with someone.

Maria offered to make me breakfast, but I opted for a banana and coffee instead...but then hesitated when I felt like I remembered hearing that you're not supposed to have coffee when you're pregnant. After thinking about it, I drank it anyway. Because I'm not pregnant.

"So how's your husband doing, Maria?" I asked. "What's his name? Manuel, right?"

"Yes," she smiled. "He's doing fine, thank you for asking."

I nodded, bouncing my leg uncontrollably on the stool pegs under me. "His business is doing alright?"

"Yes. Now that we're in the hotter part of the summer, a lot of people are paying more to have someone do their landscaping for them."