Opportunity

'Don't do anything stupid, Lieutenant Y/l/n.' Rooster warned as you slipped on your helmet, ready for your turn to go into 9 G's with Maverick for training. 

'Can't promise anything.' You smirked. 'And don't call me that, you know I hate formalities.'

'She's a good pilot, she wouldn't harm me.' Fanboy said, standing beside you. 'I don't think.'

'Oh, shut up.' You playfully smacked his arm. You'd been with Fanboy since the Academy, he was your best friend and your Weapons Systems Officer, though there were a few years when you were stationed apart from each other. But for the most part, you and Fanboy were a team. 'I've never done you wrong.'

'Sureee.' He said in a teasing tone.

You laughed, remembering all those times where you'd stay up late to take one more shot, or one more round of COD, or prank each other by putting shaving cream in their boots, or swapping clothes for the day because you two lost a bet. Payback was seriously your best friend.

'Well, be safe.' Rooster mumbled as he turned around.

'See you on the flip side.' You said to the group.

Up in the air, you huffed a sigh, waiting for your trainer to come  up beside you.

'You pulled 9 G's before, C/s?' Fanboy asked.

'When I was stationed in Alaska. I flew a Lightning II, yeah. Top speed was 1,974.' You said as you looked around the clear sky.

'Damn, how was it?' Fanboy asked.

'Weirdest fucking experience in my life.' You laughed.

'Even weirder than the time when you and-'

'Ok, Maverick where are you?' You interrupted Fanboy, knowing exactly where he was going with that. 

'Right behind you.' Maverick's voice came over the headphones. You twisted around, and just out of sight was Maverick. He flew up next to you and looked at you.

'Ok, you've pulled 9 G's before, but Fanboy hasn't. Pull 9 and only 9, any more and you've got to do a shit ton of push-ups tonight. Be careful of G-Lock and if anything goes wrong, eject imminently.' Maverick told you.

'Copy that.' You nodded, looking forward to the stretched open sky. Maverick nodded and told you he'd hover behind. He dropped a few meters, careful do give you room but still follow.

'Ready for this, Fanboy?' You smirked.

'As ever, C/s.' He said. You both clipped on your masks. You grabbed the throttle and slowly pushed it up. You imminently felt the G's pushing against your body as you crept up speed from cruise speed. 

Back at the base, Rooster sat by the window, pretending to read his book, and checking the sky. He knew he couldn't see your Super Hornet, but still. He wouldn't admit he had his full attention on the radio that was turned up to full volume.

'6 G's.' You marked through the radio, your voice didn't sound strained at all. A few moments later, '7 G's... 8 G's...'

'I'm blacking out! I'm blacking out!' Fanboy shouted over the mic.

'Come on Fanboy! Stay Awake!' Your voice was super strained now.

'9 G's, C/s, slow down.' Maverick's voice took over yours.

'Slow- SHIT!' You shouted. 

Rooster's head snapped over to the radio, where everyone was huddled around. He stood up and barged his way to the front of the group.

'Engine one is down, engine one down.' You spoke calmly. 'Descending fast, trying reboot.' A moment of silence. 'Reboot failed! Engine two is down!' Your voice started to rise slowly as you spoke again. 'Approaching Hard Deck. Wake up Fanboy! Damn it!'