Prom Dates

A/N: hey guys, so I just wanted to clarify that I am NOT American, and I am in fact Australian, so we don't have prom. Australia has formal, which is basically the same thing... I think? Also, I've never been to a formal as i was a Covid Student 👍so I hope this is (fairly) accurate. Anyway, enjoy and feel free to comment because I love hearing your guys' opinions and reactions! xoxoxo

~~~

You were elated when Bradley asked you to the prom. You'd had a crush on him since year nine when he held your hair back the day you got food poisoning on school camp. You'd known him since middle school and never really looked at him as anything more than that until then.

Yet you never acted on this because, as is so common, you didn't want to ruin the perfectly good relationship you had. Especially when you'd built a perfect group of friends, with the ideal blend of people. There was the Marcy, who was into all things animals, Theo who loved the arts and nature, and the twins, Kelly and Simon, who loved sports. You and Bradley were kind of the do-it-love-it-all of the group. You'd go to Marcy's fund-raisers for dogs in shelters, watch Theo's plays, and support the twins when they'd go off on their basketball adventures.

Everybody seemed to pair up perfectly when it came to prom. Simon asked Marcy to go, and Kelly asked Theo if he wanted to go (in this massive glitter-glue poster that says "Don't LEAF me hanging, will you GROW to prom with me"). So, it only seemed natural for Bradley to ask you that day at the lockers when the others decided they wanted to go with matching colours, purple for Kelly and Theo, and red for Marcy and Simon. 

Bradley just turned to you and said, 'hey, why don't we go to prom together?' It did take you off-guard, but you loved the idea. You just said 'sure' as a reply, trying not to sound too excited. Bradley then suggested navy blue as he was on his high from just applying to the naval academy as a pilot 'and you look good in navy blue', he added. You, of course, said yes. 

The next week, you, Kelly, and Macy all went looking for your dresses. Kelly chose this gorgeous purple glittery bodycon dress with a sweetheart neckline, Marcy found an elegant red tea-length dress with a plunging neckline that found its way to her mid-stomach, with lace detailing. You'd then picked up a navy-blue column dress with a corset bodice and straight across neckline. There was little diamond detailing along the straps and underwire of the build-in bra. You felt beautiful in it. 

You took it home and showed your mum, and since she'd invited Carole over for tea, Carole saw it too. They both then went on a rampage about how you can have a blue smoky eye, or a nude eye with blue eyeliner with tiny crystals, and how you should do a half-up updo with curls.

You were excited as ever to go to prom with a beautiful guy, in a beautiful gown. 

So, you can imagine your disappointment when the words, 'Monique isn't going with anyone' fell from Bradley's mouth.

Though you had a crush on Bradley, he had a crush on a pretty Bella-Thorne/Megan Fox crossover. It wasn't like Monique was bitchy, or rude, or dumb. In fact, she was sweet as sugarcane, sung like an angle, and loved to help whoever and whenever she could. She just wasn't you. You wanted Bradley to like you.

You were too stunned when those words fell out of his mouth. 'Y/n, I'm so sorry but I want to shoot my shot and ask her out.' The sentence took you off-guard and you managed to fumble, 'ok'. He asked if you were sure, and you just nodded.

That's how you got here, looking the clerk in the eye, telling her you want to return the dress.

'Are you sure, sweetie?' She asked, she seemed like she really cared. 

'It didn't work out with my date,' You explain, 'we were planning to match but he wants to match with his new date.'

'We do have this dress in pink and purple, as well.' Clerk Lady offered.