Whiskey Glasses

a/n: yes, I've been into Western before and more often as of late. Listen to Whiskey Glasses by Morgan Wallen

~~~~

Perfection often seems like an elusive concept, but in you, it finds a tangible embodiment. Your strengths and imperfections morph into a beautifully unique person. Your resilience in the face of challenges, your kindness that knows no bounds, your determination to work things out, paint a picture of the most perfect person in the world. Your ability to connect with others on a genuine level and your willingness to embrace change make you an inspiring presence. What sets you apart from unattainable flawlessness, but the authenticity and depth you bring to every faction of your life.

That's why Bradley was so ridiculously in love with you, he was in awe with how you moved, breathed, lived. He swore that the two of you would be together forever. The two of you had been dating for about two years now, and him being in the Navy was extremely hard on you. Like him, you'd also lost your dad as a part of the Military, except he was in the Marine Corps. Unlike him, you swore you wouldn't associate with Military men, but Bradley changed your mind real fast. You were willing to put your beliefs aside because you were so overtaken by love. You'd moved states to be with him only three months into your (official, we don't account for any friends-with-benefits that you may or may not have had for a while beforehand) relationship.

Since then, Bradley had been on many missions. Why was this one different? Why did this happen? Bradley had gotten home to you standing with your bags packed and tears streaming down your face.

"I can't do this, I'm so sorry Bradley. I can't have someone I love die again." 

The words haunted him. He could still feel the sting of the goodbye kiss before you walked out to catch your flight back to your hometown of Lewisburg. Now, Bradley was by himself, feeling shrunken and tiny as he hunched over his whiskey glass. He never drank whiskey before you. Being a true Tennessee girly, you were hyper-knowledgeable about whiskey and made him start drinking it.

He felt bad for himself as he finished off his third whiskey, sliding it forward for the barkeeper to fill up. Penny had gone who-knows-where with Maverick on a surprised vacation and had left the bar in the hands of someone Bradley didn't know. He could feel the look off pity from the old barkeep bare into his back. He didn't care. He just wanted to feel numb. He didn't want to feel a thing, only wanting to sip until the pain wears off.

He felt the presence of a certain aviator next to him. Half his height and weight, and eyes and ears everywhere. Nat had tracked him down to the Hard Deck as soon as she heard the news of you leaving him.

She sat in silence, letting Bradley wallow in his pity. He slowly looked at her, Nat felt her heart break for Bradley. He looked awful, his eyes bloodshot and face stained with salty tears.

'I've never hurt like this before.' Bradley mumbled before taking another swallow of his drink. Na placed a delicate hand on his shoulder, she felt the six-foot man of pure muscle shiver from heartbreak.

'I know, Roo.' She said softly. You were supposed to be the one for Bradley. The one. He'd bought a ring for marriage and everything, even though he knew you were on the fence about marriage in general, but there he was. Sitting in an empty bar at two in the morning, neck deep in whiskey. 

Nat felt a little stuck between a rock and a hard place. On one hand, Bradley was her best friend who she's known for years. On the other hand, you'd made a place in Nat's heart. The two of you spend girl days together, went on horseback rides like Nat used to when she was younger, and would gossip about all the things happening at your work and Nat's. She understood where you were coming from, being scared. Especially after what had happened during the mission last week, but you leaving was unexpected.