Chapter 3

An: I think you will enjoy this.

"Get down!" A marine yelled as he gun down a grunt just in time. "We got to move! Now!" The cries of the children rang loudly across the air as Jacob lead several refugees on his own. He was separated from his squad when the covenant dropped a building on top of them and was helping stranded survivors ever since then.

Street after street, block after block, Jacob did not rest as he gathered whatever he can and leads them towards the fall-out shelter. 20 civilians were in his care. 20 men women and children alike depend on their survival on him.

The burden was heavy, almost unbearable for him, but he had to push on. He had to save what he can. Jacob led the small group towards a crossing where the closest bunker was located. He checked for any covenant forces before taking point.

"A-are the spartans going to help us mommy?" Jacob heard a terrified cry from a girl as her mother tried to console her child with little success. Jacob chewed his lips hard as he inwardly cursed the spartans.

Super soldiers? Humanity's last hope? They can't even do shit! We are dying out here and where are they?! Jacob wanted to scream in frustration but held it in as it was what the people needed. They need heroes, champions that they could look up to in these dark times.

Not someone like him, just a regular plain marine. A regular soldier. "! Move!" Jacob yelled as he fired just in time above them when a grunt jumped down from one of the buildings. Screams echoed throughout the road as the civilians run for cover as Jacob bring up the rear.

Jacob desperately tried to defend the group as he slaughtered grunt after grunt. Though for every grunt he took down, three more took its place. They were endless like the tides. It was hopeless and yet Jacob fired.

He cannot abandon these people. They were his people, his kind. He'll be damn if he let any covvies do so as they pleased. A bolt of plasma almost graze his side as he felt the heat burning his body. Without the armor, Jacob doubted he will able to endure the searing pain.

Jacob grimaced as it was another lucky moment for him. He always considered himself to be a lucky guy as he survived more encounter than any one today. Unfortuanetly however, his luck had to ran out.

Jacob blinked in despair when a audible click signals the empty clip. Jacob tried to reload when a stray bolt hit his shoulders. He went down with a scream as the flesh in his bones boiled.

It hurts. M-mom it hurts! Jacob cried inside as the pain simply overwhlemed him. Ah... am I going to die? Jacob thought for a moment as the thought calmed him. The pain was unbearable, but if he dies... it would go away... right? Jacob slowly closes his eyes when a scream jolted him back up.

In his peripheral vision, Jacob saw the civilians being chased by grunts. For a split moment, Jacob could see the grins on the grunts faces, the crying tears and faces of the children. It was as if... they were enjoying it? Enjoying... killing civilians?

A spark of hate engulfed his body as he forces it to stand. He had to defend these people. He had to! With a roar, Jacob forces his horrible and injured body to reload a fresh clip. He squeezes the trigger just in time as he took down 3 grunts who passed him.

I have to save them! I have to fight! Jacob screamed as he grabbed his knife before jamming the blade into the throat of a surprised grunt. Without pause, Jacob grabbed the plasma grenade it had on its side and primed the grenade towards its kin. Jacob fought ferociously as well as desperately for their survival.

He used the hatred he saw as a fuel for his body. As a strength to push pass the pain and fight! Jacob fought like a madman, swinging the blade relentlessly to those who dare near him while firing with his rifle. He had to fight! To protect them!... alas the will inside finally died down when he saw behind the grunts.